• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy dx949 ssb swr problem update

BammBamm

Instigators ...173 on the southside.
May 24, 2010
Steger,Illinois
A few of you where trying to help me with a SWR problem I am having on sideband. Well I was bored so I started playing with it again and I found the power supply made no difference along with the antenna but I found a 50' piece of RG-8x I had laying around and for the heck of it I ran it from radio to antenna and everything works fine!? But if I hook up my Browning 400 my sideband problems come back. I ohm tested the 400 for shorts and it comes back fine and I just bought this about a week ago and had the shop install the ends and they are amphenols. I am going to run it back to the shop on Monday and have them check and re solder the ends for me I would have today but just got off work and they are closed until Monday. With either coax my AM SWR is 1.1 on ch#1 and 1.2 on ch# 40. Thanks for all the help from those who replied and we will see on Monday evening what happens.

Why are you trying to test your SWR on SSB? You have to have a carrier for your SWR meter to work properly. This is why you only check/set SWR on AM. Your local shop that you bought the coax from will tell you that. There is nothing wrong with your system if your SWR is that low on AM.

Why are you trying to test your SWR on SSB? You have to have a carrier for your SWR meter to work properly. This is why you only check/set SWR on AM. Your local shop that you bought the coax from will tell you that. There is nothing wrong with your system if your SWR is that low on AM.

The only way to check swrs on ssb is to put a steady tone in the mic then calibrate and so on. You can use a cross needle meter too.
I don't understand how swr would change from AM to SSB being the frequency difference is only 1 kc.

The only way to check swrs on ssb is to put a steady tone in the mic then calibrate and so on. You can use a cross needle meter too.
I don't understand how swr would change from AM to SSB being the frequency difference is only 1 kc.

His SWR, not swrs wont change from am to fm to ssb. The way it is read by some meters will when you modulate you throw the meter out of calibration thus showing a different reading. Why even attempt to try it on SSB with a steady tone etc when AM is available just throw a deadkey on Am calibrate your meter and go with it, that is your SWR no matter what mode you are operating.

O.K. I took radio, coax, and antenna to the shop and had it all tested. The radio was purchased and peaked and tuned by Sparkys. Here's the findings
Modulation was 60% at max and had flat spot at top and bottom of scope
peak power was 2 watts swinging to 13
receive hadn't been touched
meter was WAY off an S9 would show an S3
Diode installed for?
cold solder joint on diode
PLL had 2 cold solder joints like it had been removed and replaced?
SSB carrier pot was broken
Tech said it looked like someone had attempted to install swing kit but forgot to put parts in radio.
Radio has since been fixed and works fine. So let's see I feel like I put my foot in my mouth for defending Sparky's. Refurbished DX949 peaked tuned and unlocked clarifier from sparky's plus shipping = $128.84 then add another $50.00 at my local shop to fix the radio so it would work correctly.
Many people swear by Al at Sparky's but this will be my last purchase from him and on top of that my wife bought this for me for Christmas and feels she got ripped off since I had to spend more money on it. :sad:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?