• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GALAXY MELAKA

bigred222

Key Up City Radio
Aug 28, 2006
Stamford, CT
www.cbjunk.com
OK BOYS WHATS THE LOWDOWN on this radio that i got comming in the mail?
Info
CB tricks Had NADA on it so I figured id check here as always.

If you can get the info for me id love to know the following.
Frequency range
Power Output
Mic connector
What board it has
What Mods i can do to it.

ahh the good old melaka. it was the son of the old galaxy ssb. it was the cheapest galaxy base at the time. they were about $189 new from copper electronics. back in the late 90's. thwy could be expanded for extras but you needed to unlock the clairifer to get 10k of slide for able's. once you did this ssb because useless. ive seen a few with cracked mainboards, why i dont know.

they get pretty loud (and splattery). ssb was nothing to write home about, they had a signal meter meter and a "on air" light instead of a second meter. uses 1969 final with peak around 20 watts.

adjustments

modulation vr-14
am power vr-13
alc vr-12

VR 1 ~ AM/FM S-Meter
VR 2 ~ SSB S-Meter
VR 3 ~ SSB Squelch Range
VR 4 ~ AM/FM Squelch Range
VR 5 ~ FM Deviation
VR 7 ~ SSB Carrier Balance
VR 8 ~ RF Meter
VR10 ~ Final Bias
VR11 ~ Driver Bias
VR20 ~ Final Bias
VR21 ~ TX Offset
TALK BACK MODIFICATION:
To add Talkback to your Galaxy Melaka , Locate D-80 inside the radio near the Audio Transformer. Cut one end of D-80.

conversion
#1 ~ Remove the Top and Bottom Cover's.

#2 ~ Notice on the Bottom side of the main board towards the Front there is a small Jumper wire soldered to the board. One end of the wire is soldered to Ground and the other end is soldered across 2 pins. Remove this wire and at the same time make sure that the 2 pins are no longer shorted together.

#3 ~ Re-install the Top & Bottom Cover's.
2b24_1.JPG

ya there is a female jack in the back for a freq counter. if i rember correctly band c is standard cb frequencys. ssb works as long as you keep the limiter in place and dont unlock the clairifer for the 10k adjustment. its not the best as with any export radio but it works, i would use one of the hf rigs you have there for ssb use, especially if you have a filter installed.

2ea6_1.JPG

In 1995 I traded a Sony 2010 Shortwave radio (I have missed that Sony now for 12 long years :cry: ) for a Melaka base. I totally hated that base from the day I traded for it !! Audio sucked on both AM/SSB and receive seemed fair at most. In my parts there was basically a big strapper on channel six who went by Superfly out of Pomona Cal. Very nice old man as well , I still hear him from time to time but he is nothing like he once was in the 80s and early 90s . I traded him the base for a first run 148GTL ! in many minds they felt I had traded down ! Far as I was concerned , I traded up big time ! Not only that , I kind of felt cb warm and fuzzy that I now owned a Superfly 148 GTL . :) To Red ........maybe one day you can treat yourself to a older 148 or even a Grant XL , the audio and receive are one of a kind on those radios where cb is concerned. Peace

The Galaxy Melaka was built by Ranger Inc overseas for the Nochman Bros. in New York. They also imported and sold the Pluto, Saturn, Saturn Turbo and a few other non "DX" models. No contact number, no warranty and no returns. Supply and demand was the only thing they had going for them until a new kid showed up in town that gladly offered everything mentioned above and more.

Happy Holidays
-Ray

OK MELAKA STORY
I Got it today
AM WORKED GREAT
SIDEBAND WABHABHABHABH (off frequency)

AND I FIXED IT MY SELF. IM SO HAPPY
MY FIRST TUNE UP AND I DID IT WITH OUT PROPER TEST equipment. you just need a radio that is on frequency to tune to. i just messed with one of the cans for the transmit freq and people tell me it sounds better than my 2547.
73's jeff, ray, and everyone else and happy holidays.

id suggest still getting a proper alignment by a compentent tech that has the proper equipment to do it with . congrats on your new radio :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.