• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Gizmotchy Beam Antenna...Coming Review

Hey Robb, what did happen with your promise of a Gizmotchy 3 review you promised back in 2010?

I used a 6 element Gizzy in the late 70s.
This is what I saw, On dx where the incoming signals could be any polarity/phase at anytime, the antenna could often handle them by switching driven elements as conditions changed.
For local work on tropo looking at a PDL, neither element combination was any advantage on a signal from the PDL.
I supposed it was the odd radiation angle/response of the Gizzy.
Gain was not anything outstanding I could detect.
Front to back ratio was very poor.
Side rejection was very high on local signal just a few miles distance. I used the beam locally to reject those signal sources that would cause bleed over and QRM.
This was the only major value of the antenna beside maybe holding onto a signal with a large amount of QSB, then that did not always work.
Switching between the beam and an Astro Plane did a better job of holding signals indicating to me that reflection phase activity was very high as well as spot sensitive between the beam and Omni locations being close to 75 feet apart.
I would say at this point this antenna has no outstanding characteristics to cause an investment is one for any band for reliable gain and other performance characteristics.
The testing conditions to be attempted won't provide very much 'solid' meaningful data except to that specific set of test conditions.
Keep in mind, DX is very different from local tropo conditions where the element config is not so critical much of the time with high signal strengths.
Even a flat side beam may not work as well as a vertical at times if you had the ability to switch between them and see it.
I suspect the Gizzy design could be improved if more normal beam spacing to favor higher gain and narrower patterns were to be employed.
It has been my experience building beams that equally spaces elements while easy to match and physically shorter results in broad front patterns and poor F.B ratios as this Gizzy design seem to have shown me years ago.
Build your own 6 element planar beam following normal beam dimensions and get better performance as well as learn from the experience. ALL the element and boom stock is found at your local well stocked hardware store for either a Gamma match or dipole type driven element mounted properly and coax choked to keep common mode out of the shack, same a the well known Mosley's do on some of their models.
Good luck.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
it would be nice if someone just gave a good review on this antenna...so far, I have a G35 on a 10ft test pole it works good, a local about 16 miles away in hilly terrain that normally gives 3-4 1/2 swinging on the Yquad now gives me a 4 swinging 5 1/2, on ssb in a clear freeband frequency...I put the back door to him and barely wiggles the needle on this washington I believe the antenna works great, have owned m103c, yquad, spt500 and v5000, before that I was a firm believer in the novice antennas like a99 and a imax(dummy loads)....no more, my last dummy load antenna i owned was about 6 years ago switched to aluminum never will go back...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.