• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Golden Eagle "Key-up "

Lik2race

Apr 9, 2009
Does anyone know if there is a way to lengthen or shorten the "key-up", on the
Browning Golden Eagle. ??

(y)

Probably just change a cap in the key up circuit. Do you have a schematic of the section that produces the key up sound?

Adjust the key up? Do you mean the length of the "squeal"? You will have to change the value of a capacitor in the receiver to shorten it....probably 20 to 40 mfd at 450 volts, the smaller the cap the shorter the squeal.

BC

Reactions: NZ8N
If it is the squeal you want to shorten here is how to do it.

In the receiver locate V10, the 6AQ5 tube right behind the speaker. From under the chassis locate pin 6 which has a red wire tied to it. Follow this red wire to the nearby terminal strip to where it is connected to a 2.2K 1/2 watt resistor (red, red, red). You won't want to go smaller than a 20 mfd cap at 450 volts with the positive lead going to the 2.2K and negative lead going to ground. Anything 80 mfd or above will produce a long squeal and place undo strain on the relay and other components. Usually 35-47 mfd makes a nice squeal.
One other thing...if a cap is installed in this place already you will need to remove it.

BC

Reactions: NZ8N and Sonar
I know that YamahaDude (member on this forum) has a Uniden Madison that has a button on it that emulates the 'squeal' or 'ping' for the Golden Eagle.
So moleculo is probably right. There must be a cap that can be changed to shorten that key-up squeal. In much the same way that one can change the character tone and length of a roger beep in any radio.
I have never read anything on this problem of this 'feature' of the Golden Eagle to change or correct it - anywhere. Probably exists in a Sam's publication. Maybe...
But remember - that 'squeal' is a signature of that radio. I know two guys in my area that have them and use them. They won't change that feature and they are going to keep it in place. It is a part of that radios character - I guess...

Last edited:
The way the Browning Golden Eagle sounds when it keys up?
It is the sound of the D104 feeding back for a moment - and then stopping.
Both of the Golden Eagles around my neck of the woods sound like that. I asked both of these guys to adjust it so it wouldn't make that feedback squeal, and both of them said that it is just how the radio sounds - and cannot be adjusted or stopped.
?? Go figure ??

Bionic Chicken's post is exactly correct as to the modification. If you have an early model Mark III made prior to Feb 1977, than the stock capacitor (C66) will be 20 uf @450 volts. The discharge time of this cap caused the receiver's speaker output to remain on for several milliseconds when the transmitter was keyed up and the resulting feedback caused the unit to "ping" or squeal. In Feb '77 the FCC made Browning eliminate the "ping" so C66 was changed to a 2 uf @ 450Volts for late model Mark IIIs. Several Eagles that I worked on had C66 removed and a 3 position switch installed on the receiver's rear skirt, which allowed either a 2 uf, 20 uf, or 40 uf cap to be switched in to change the length of the ping. As BC said, exceeding 40 uf is really tough on some of the components, and is not recommended.

...........Thanks guys , for ALL the good information. I'm thinking of adding a bit larger cap
( as suggested ) to lenghten the 'ping' just a tad. I love that Eagle Screamn' sound...
That's just one of the reasons I always wanted one of these.
Thanks again,(y)
Stan

that sound did not sound anything close to a Golden Eagle
if you going to do it do it right

whats your email address
i send you the real golden eagle keyup

that sound did not sound anything close to a Golden Eagle
if you going to do it do it right

whats your email address
i send you the real golden eagle keyup

I just listened to the clip. It did kinda sound like a fat girl breaking wind didn't it? On one of the noise toy CD's I have it does have a Browning squeal. Sounds more like a R27 S23 than a Mark III or other however.

BC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated