• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Golden Eagle "Key-up "

Old thread but I try answer your questions.
I have a few of the old brownings.
Seems yours may need a good alignment, transmit and receive not on same frequency.
The crystal's have a tendency to drift with old age as does the voltage in the brownings.

align the tr and rx according to manual, this will require some test equipment.
Manuals available for free download on the net, but there are 3 different variations of the mark 3 so sometimes the schematic does not actually represent the particular radio you may have.
Hopefully NOMAD may chime in as he is very familiar with the old birds and may have some more info.
Good luck/

I might be the only person on earth who finds the sound difficult to listen to.
I think the brownings are Great Radios but find the two piece (transmit receive) setup redundant. There's no reason why they couldn't have built that radio as a transceiver. I can only think it was designed from the beginning to stand out. Not that gimmicks don't work. Because they do. and a separate transmitter/receive obviously set it apart. I can only imagine the brainstorming sessions that went on during the design phase of those cb's. Maybe they were trying to get the attention of the amateur radio guys, while giving chicken banders the wow factor at the same time. I actually like to Demco's (they built) more than I do the brownings.
Back in the day I used a Browning receiver with my EF Johnson Ranger. I just didn't have the room for a hallicrafters, or the other (at that time) cheaply priced receivers. 73

Hey Clyde!

Check the resistance of your squelch control, from one end to the other, across the two outside lugs.

Power off, and the power-supply filters bled down first, of course.

You may want to turn it first to one end, then the other while the meter is connected. Make your reading with the knob turned to get the highest reading.

If it checks much more than 10k ohms, this can foul up the ping, even though the squelch control still appears to function like it should.

Not sure why they fail this way, but it's the easiest thing to check first.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.