1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

got ah cobra 25 here.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Modifications' started by southerntrucker, Mar 14, 2012.

1. southerntrucker

southerntrucker rebel child

Ok guys/gales. Iv got my granpas ole cobra 25LTD classic and he's wanting me to get the maximum power out of it as I can. Its and O7 china model with a front mic jack. I was thinkin about doin a mosfet mod to it but I don't kno. What would y'all suggest I do to it?

Southerntrucker

2. add a small amp and get the 25 aligned and set to drive it

1 person likes this.
  3. GLR

GLR Keeping It Good Natured

I suggest you leave it alone.

4. IDIeselman

IDIeselman Active Member

If you are comfortable doing it and have the equipment available, add the RFX-75 final section. If not send it to Custom CB radios Would make for a nice little 75-80 watt gremlin.

5. southerntrucker

Not trying to be rude, but altho I'm young I'm not retarded atwhen it comes to workin on radios. Ppl tend to underestimate me just cause of my age. Plus how am I ever gonna learn to annything if I never get any first hand expierence? Like I said. I wasun't meaning it to sound rude.

At booty... that's what I said but he doent want anything to with amps. Considering he hardly knos anything about them. Plus he said he don't have the money to or want to drill any extra holes anywhere in the truck.

At ID... whould you happen to kno where I could get some information about this mod? It souunds pretty interesting.

6. mackmobile43

mackmobile43 Jock Supporter

1 person likes this.
  7. southerntrucker

Hey man. Don't make fun of the way I talk/spell. Iv always had problems with spelling since iv started school. All I did was ask ah question. Ain't gotta be an ass about something that isn't even related to this. Gees... I don't kno why I even bother anymore.

8. Robb

Robb Yup

9. IDIeselman

IDIeselman Active Member

Powerband RFX75

It's the first one on the list. Or Google Cobra 25 RFX-75. Enjoy and let us know how it works out, should make a nice little talker for gramps.

10. southerntrucker

Thanks. Guys. Nice to know their are still some good people out there

11. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to have a tech that knows what they are doing mod the radio. Someone like Doug at Custom CB or DTB radio who is a forum member. You could also get with Loosecannon, another member.

Nothing wrong with tinkering to learn but you do that to a 20 dollar E-Bay radio, not your Grandpas. As far as information good god do a simple google search of cb radio mods. Heck cbtricks.com has tons of mod information.

Don't get too big for your britches with your attitude. You asked and got some great advice.

12. southerntrucker

Thank you sir. And your right, that I did.

I also forgot to mention that the radio wasn't his eveyday user. Its one he's had in the closet for a while and told me to do whatever I could to it to make it talk. I'm sorry and apoligize.

13. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Well-Known Member

10-4 on the radio has been sitting. I would bench test it and see what it's doing, might have been tuned up back in the day. It all really comes down to how much time and money you/he wants to put into it.

14. mr_fx

mr_fx Sr. Member

that's a terrible mod, they DK like 5-10 watt and swing to 70-125 watt, lol, talk about over modulating. It will sound like garbage, at least all of them I have heard did.

To the OP,get a small and and get the thing aligned.

15. IDIeselman

IDIeselman Active Member

Yup! Thats why we are seeing more and more of them coming factory on new Magnum 10 Meter Amateur transceivers<proof>. It is a mod and like anything else, what you are modding also needs to be conditioned (tuned) to accept and make the best use of the new addition. Sure some of them are driven to the max and may sound less than great but, when they are used as directed they sound fine and are a nice way to gain a little performance. The grandfather does not want to run any ands:tongue: small or otherwise.