• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Great Mic Sound for your CB or Export Radio-part 1

Although I like the way this statement is worded... ( :D ) -----> "Also, be sure to start out with a high quality transceiver. It's pointless to put lipstick on a pig."

I dont agree at all with the context of the statement that this is a fragment of in it's entirety...

As Robb said THIS "How To" is for better grade audio... Not getting out farther.

T23

99% of the hams I hear sound crappy so they're not a good indicator of audio quality.
Yes; the 1% or more of Ham and the 1% or more of CB operators that I've been hearing during skip these last few weeks has inspired this series. More hifi audio was noticed than ever before at my station. Things are changing . . .

The newest crop of export radios soon to be released in the US will have USB. It won't be too long before we will be able to use our computers to TX and RX using software that will give us digital audio enhancements, as well as even being able to use - dare I say it - some digital modes of communications into the CB realm as well.

I think I see that radio is about to take a long-overdue step forward. I'd like to think that the WWRF helped this process happen faster/better, if we can get the 'whys and hows' info to our members that want to be on the cutting edge of this hobby we share. Hams are just as welcome to this knowledge as CBers are. Of course, Hams get the credit for getting there first - IMO...

I suggest that you read my post again, that is if you actually did the first time.

I did read it. You included some useful info; but I want to keep the focus on the front-end audio is all. Addressing the issues of swing kits and NPC mods will be open for discussion at any time. Just want to put down the foundations for audio before I get into that.

BTW - I seldom get any traffic on CB/freeband from Columbia; mostly from many of the West Indies/Caribbean islands.

BTW - I seldom get any traffic on CB/freeband from Columbia; mostly from many of the West Indies/Caribbean islands.

In the 5 years that we've been here, I've never heard another Colombian station on 10-11-12 meters. If you run ssb, you won't hear me 'cause I'm strictly an am'er. Channel 15 or out of band on 26.935. I get a lot of contacts out of SoCal and the Mohave but not very often from elsewhere in the state.

BTW it's spelled Colombia, not Columbia. I made the same mistake before we moved here.

:eek: Wav that guy will not answer questions about this microphone wifi kit!! I just tried and it states he does not answer questions!!! Ive never seen such a thing!!! Thats just not right for a seller or the maker of any product LMAO!! I think Ill go with a Heil after seeing this guys business ethics good thing yours worked out for you the way you wanted it to. I say its a gamble if this guy is to lazy or does not know how to answer peoples questions.:confused: :eek::unsure:

Tony ,,
I never tried to ask any questions about that mic kit, so news to me thanks for letting me know.

Either way with Heil or the "no answer guy" kit the audio will sound great.

Thanks for letting me know about this guy's business ethics. Or lack of customer suport.

In the 5 years that we've been here, I've never heard another Colombian station on 10-11-12 meters. If you run ssb, you won't hear me 'cause I'm strictly an am'er. Channel 15 or out of band on 26.935. I get a lot of contacts out of SoCal and the Mohave but not very often from elsewhere in the state.

BTW it's spelled Colombia, not Columbia. I made the same mistake before we moved here.

Here's how I spell Colombia. (y)(y)(y)

misscolombial.jpg

What is the point? One might safely ask. Well, intelligibility of sound is a controversy even among Hams when talking about a quality broadcast sound vs bandwidth issues. The CB band doesn't have these problem or issues.

Cb'ers have long been concerned about their audio quality,especially those who operate 11m ssb

The true nature of Amateur radio is to experiment and bring something new to the hobby. CB hasn't really involved itself with some of the more usable products from the Ham influence. CB doesn't use digital methods, such as SSTV or PSK31 - but it potentially could.

Since when was sstv or any other digital method stopped on cb? its been used on cb in europe for a number of years,as has rtty,morse,and other data modes.

Cb'ers have been experimenting with radios,antennas,audio since long before you ever became a ham.

What will CB radio look like in ten years from now? Or even 5 years from now?

Hopefully nothing like todays amateur bands.full of people lacking technical ability,ignorance towards other users (which includes hogging bandwidth with so called "hifi audio" ),5/9 cr@p instead of honest signal reports,

hopefully cb'ers will continue to welcome and help new users as they always have done and leave the egotism to hams with less than brilliant rf theory behind them, it would be a very sad day the day 11m becomes like amateur radio

Don't look now; but things have already changed. More CB radio operators are utilizing Ham radios on the CB frequencies. Good and bad. Bad - because it encroaches on present FCC regs that call it illegal. Good because these radios don't lend themselves to 'splatter' modulation that give off harmonics across other bands.

Sadly this is far from the truth,yeah amateur sets are cleaner but ONLY in the hands of competent operators,in many cases those using hf transceivers with lack of experience be they ham or cb'er are splattering all over the place from incorrect setting of alc,mike pre amps, processing etc.

Wasn't that long back i had to explain to a typical US all the gear/no idea station that if he ran his kenwood ts570 with his mc 60a with the pre amp switched on he was preamping the audio twice, which caused dreadful distortion, he told me he had had nothing but good audio reports in the states,but after he took my advice and switched the mic's preamp off he was amazed at the clarity off his own audio, its simple little mistakes like that caused by people using gear that is quite frankly out of their operating depth that causes most of the dirty signals on 11m. the most common one i come across is misadjusted alc.

But what can be done that is legal?
One can make a better audio chain in and out of the radio. Legal to do. But for now, I will concentrate on the audio input. It might cost a bit to come up with better audio, but with cheap and available technology it can be easily accomplished. It will involve some gear to acquire. A large capsule condenser mic, a preamp that can power such a mic, making one cable from the output of the preamp to the radio, a standard ~6 ft 'XLR' mic cable, and a remote foot or hand 'push to talk' switch.
Time is about to move on.

HIFI audio may well be legal,but it is very inconsiderate towards other users of a mode that was designed to reduce bandwidth and noise.

What does it achieve anyway ? why does audio need to be any better than clear ? out of all the people you talk to how many will have the receive audio bandwidth to even benefit from your wide audio ? outwith the less than 1% who can benefit of the rest their narrow filters will hack most of it away so in 99% of contacts you just wasted a heap of money installing "hifi audio".

The newest crop of export radios soon to be released in the US will have USB. It won't be too long before we will be able to use our computers to TX and RX using software that will give us digital audio enhancements, as well as even being able to use - dare I say it - some digital modes of communications into the CB realm as well.
Digital modes have been on 11 meters for some time now. SSTV, PSK31, RTTY, Pactor have all been observed on 11 meters. More popular overseas than US it seems.

And you can already hook a CB or Export to your computer and use the sound card to tweak audio in/out. You certainly don't need USB on the rig for that, just speaker and mic connections. Not that that isn't cool, but the only functionality is probably just programming the memories / maybe some settings on the rig. Now true rig control would be neat, but I doubt that's what we're getting. :sneaky2:

I think that most any CB or Export that is properly tuned with a good mic sounds great on the air. Mine do. I have no problem with people tweaking their audio to sound good, but the super wide stuff I think is really inconsiderate.

One thing that has been overlooked in this quest for broadcast quality audio is that all the efforts are pointless if the receiving end cannot accept the wider transmitted bandwidth.Most ham radios and likely most CB radios do not have the required IF bandwidth to take advantage of the wider signals and in some cases make the really wide stations sound worse due to added distortion by the receiver than if they were transmitting normal audio.

The guys on The AM Forum - Index run wide bandwidth AM and sound GREAT if you can actually hear everything being sent. They usually employ boatanchor receivers that have wide bandwidths up to 16KHz. SIXTEEN kilohertz!!

My Kenwood receiver has filters for 2.7, 6 and 12 KHz and there is a world of difference in listening to a station on the 12 KHz setting than from even the 6 KHz setting and as for 2.7 KHz, well that isn't even in the picture.

Reactions: NZ8N

HIFI audio may well be legal,but it is very inconsiderate towards other users of a mode that was designed to reduce bandwidth and noise.

What does it achieve anyway ? why does audio need to be any better than clear ? out of all the people you talk to how many will have the receive audio bandwidth to even benefit from your wide audio ? outwith the less than 1% who can benefit of the rest their narrow filters will hack most of it away so in 99% of contacts you just wasted a heap of money installing "hifi audio".

Jazzsinger -

Very well stated. As I said in my first post on this thread, the object of CB or amatuer radio is to communicate and to do this by transmitting a signal that is loud and CLEAR.

Receive audio bandwidth is just as important as transmit audio. It is useless to have one without the other. But bringing modulation down to 100% and still having great audio is possible. I'm sure those who run radios with an NPC mod might find it confining; or use it to their advantage if set up right.

Is great audio all that important for communications? If it can be cheaper than ever possible, if there is interest, and if it is in grasp of anyone to use - then yes. Some would rather own and drive a Model T Ford; others a 2011 Ford Mustang. One is simple and classic and the other well thought out and still changing for the better.

I know the UK/European radio is different than US in using digital modes. The US might be using it already to some degree on 11m; but I have seldom heard or seen it - despite the fact that it can be done.

Staying in the realm of CB's is where this is going. The points were made to point out these changes come slowly to CB. But TX audio quality is improving and is apparently growing.

I'm sure that this info doesn't surprise or amuse those who have been in the radio hobby for any real length of time. However, for those beginners and even intermediate CB operators that have wondered the 'hows and whys' of hifi TX audio; this is for them...

I've been running Hi-Fi AM on several bands for over 15 years. The microphone is a cheap electret. The EQ couldn't get any simpler. All you really need to do is notch out some lower mid range around 500 cycles to remove that muddy sound when heavily modulated. I just use a 700 ohm relay coil as the inductor and a .1 mfd cap to make a series resonate notch filter.

In my mind supplying the transmitter with quality audio is the easy part. Getting it to pass the response is another issue. Most people know about increasing the size of coupling caps and emitter bypass caps. They tend to get confused once they hit the modulator IC. Looking at the data sheet for the IC can help. They often have circuit examples showing how to configure the IC for flat response rather then communications audio.

All most all of these chips are configured with an external hi frequency negative feedback loop that kills everything over 3.5 KHz. That needs to be modified to get any hi end out of the transmitter. These chips also use external caps to bypass the emitters of internal transistors. The caps are often too low in value to reproduce bass through the chip.

Many people will tell you that you need to be listening on a wide band receiver to hear Hi-Fi. This is true to a point. Even a cheap receiver with 6 KHz bandwidth can detect the improvement in bass and treble response from a Hi-Fi transmitter. The average CB uses a ceramic 6 KHz IF filter on AM. At the edges of that bandwidth you are only down 3 db and those ceramic filters are far from brick wall filtering.

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.