• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ground Plane Kit For Wilson Trucker Antennas 3/8x24

ctvanover

N/A
May 22, 2005
Archdale, NC 27263
The ad says:

Specifically Designed for the Wilson 2000 and 5000 Trucker,Firestik And Wilson Fiberglass Antennas .WORKS ON ALL ANTENNAS THAT HAVE THE STANDARD 3/8 X 24 THREAD

This Radial Kit Consists of 6 Heavy Duty Steel Radials that are 4" long that securely screw onto the Wilson 2000/5000 Trunker Antenna Coil

Improves Antenna Performance with better Ground Radiation. Also Improves Receive, allowing Better Copy of those Marginal Stations.

Do these actually work? Do they go on the bottom of the coil or at the bottom of the antenna itself?

I'm gonna put me a set of Wilson 5000 Truckers on a 2000 model Peterbilt and I'd like to know if these will help me, hurt me, or just make people ask weird questions about them....LOL!

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!lIE2D1S9HhmBNplRGSnzg~~_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqJ,!lIE2D1S9HhmBNplRGSnzg~~_12.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 52

snake oil as it does not connect to any path to ground, it connects to the riser shaft which is part of the antenna's radiator.

Well, it should certainly get you the odd questions! That's about as close to a good reason for buying one that I can think of. No, it's not a "groundplane" in any sense of the word, since it attaches to the 'hot' part of the antenna, not the 'ground'.
Some of them, the ones that use a set screw for attachment to the whip, can be useful as a capacity-hat. I don't think that particular one would work that way because of how it attaches though.
They don't have to be totally worthless, but they are most of the time.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.