1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

Ground Plane Kit For Wilson Trucker Antennas 3/8x24

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by ctvanover, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ctvanover

ctvanover Active Member

The ad says:

Specifically Designed for the Wilson 2000 and 5000 Trucker,Firestik And Wilson Fiberglass Antennas .WORKS ON ALL ANTENNAS THAT HAVE THE STANDARD 3/8 X 24 THREAD

This Radial Kit Consists of 6 Heavy Duty Steel Radials that are 4" long that securely screw onto the Wilson 2000/5000 Trunker Antenna Coil

Improves Antenna Performance with better Ground Radiation. Also Improves Receive, allowing Better Copy of those Marginal Stations.

Do these actually work? Do they go on the bottom of the coil or at the bottom of the antenna itself?

I'm gonna put me a set of Wilson 5000 Truckers on a 2000 model Peterbilt and I'd like to know if these will help me, hurt me, or just make people ask weird questions about them....LOL!

Attached Files:

2. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

Trust me that is pure junk will not work... just a sales gimmick!!

3. jon666

jon666 Active Member

junk

trust me i bought one.

4. mackmobile43

mackmobile43 Jock Supporter

snake oil as it does not connect to any path to ground, it connects to the riser shaft which is part of the antenna's radiator.

5. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

Well, it should certainly get you the odd questions! That's about as close to a good reason for buying one that I can think of. No, it's not a "groundplane" in any sense of the word, since it attaches to the 'hot' part of the antenna, not the 'ground'.
    Some of them, the ones that use a set screw for attachment to the whip, can be useful as a capacity-hat. I don't think that particular one would work that way because of how it attaches though.
    They don't have to be totally worthless, but they are most of the time.
    - 'Doc

6. ctvanover

ctvanover Active Member

Thanks, just curious!