• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hallicrafters S-40B Antenna

Mike337

Jan 8, 2012
Sterling, VA
I dug out my fathers old Hallicrafters S-40B last night and it still works like a dream. I would like to put up a long wire antenna in the attic. The attic is T shaped. I was thinking down one side, up the middle and back down the other in the shape of a squared off M about 10 feet apart on the legs in just the larger attic. My other choices would be down 15 ft turn left and run it another 30 feet in an L shape or I could take it in a U for an additional 30 feet in the smaller attic space, or finally, around the whole attic for about 125 ft. Any thoughts? What's the correct wire size? Thanks.

What size wire? Whatever size you happen to have handy. Size isn't going to make any significant difference if it's strong enough to hold it's self up.
If there's any particular band that appeals to you, I'd make the antenna of a length that would favor that band. If you don't have any particular band of interest, then in general, the longest antenna you can conveniently manage should do fine.
The 'problem' with running antennas 'back' on them selves is that some portion of a signal can be 'neutralized', 'wasted', sort of. That deals with frequency and wave lengths, a particular 'length' being better than another in that relationship.
If you continue the run of wire back to the radio, the whole thing becomes part of the antenna. That can be either good or bad, just depends on what that part of the antenna is run near. The one thing that people seldom remember about longwire/random wire antennas is that theydo require the 'other half' of the antenna, a good ground system. Lots of variations in that, but all antennas need that 'other half' to work well. That other half can be in the form of a 'ground', or just another length of wire (feed the thing in the middle). You have gobs of alternatives. Got metal window screens? Just for grins, hook a wire from one to the antenna jack on that radio, you might be surprised. And antenna is just an electrical conductor of signals. If it's electrically conductive, it can be an antenna, or part of one.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?