1. Marconi is the winner of the December WDX CB Club DX Contest! Please Congratulate him here!

Have you ever worked anyone famous on the ham bands or else where

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by KG0MN, Oct 13, 2012.

1. KG0MN

KG0MN W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I have been extremely lucky in the people I have been able to talk since getting my license in 197. The one that I hold the highest on the list is JY1 King Hussein of Jordan who is a silent key now. A couple of others are Barry Goldwater - K7UGA and the country singer Ronnie Milsap WB4KCG. The one person I would like to work is Joe Walsh since I'm such a fan of the Eagles.

The on contact I made that I wish I had not gotten through to was WB6MNH/8R1 which was located at the Jim Jone's People's Temple in Georgetown, Guyana. I lived in Iowa at the time and the person I spoke to told me they were in desperate need of small parts for their tractor. Things like O-rings and the such. After the QSO it was a couple of days later that the mass suicide took place.

2 people like this.

2. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

Milsap once, and Louis Varney once (didn't know who he was at the time). One or two others who no one would recognize but I thought was neat.
    - 'Doc

3. n0zna

n0zna W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Got Joe W.And didnt know who it was till i sent the qsl...and my Father a SK now got alot,on cw he got the CBS broadcaster Walter Croncite and also Andy Griffith..and Barry G.Still have qsl cards...A friend got Jim Jones...

1 person likes this.
  4. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Supporting Member

Didn't know Andy was a HAM.

5. KC4TVZ

KC4TVZ Member

Yes, after learning 5WPM CW(Morse Code) from a cassette tape of WB6NOA Gordon West in 1990, " Gordo" the Ambassador of Amateur Radio School called me, KC4TVZ, on 28.425Mhz on 10-17-2011 at 20:00UTC , so I collected his 10-10 number. His voice sounded just like it did on the cassette tapes or better!

73 KC4TVZ Todd

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  6. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur Staff Member

That's OK. He probably didn't know you were one either. :whistle:

The best I have to my recollections is John Devoldere ON4UN. Not really famous but he is well known for his antenna books.

I bought a radio from a fellow that set a round the world record for circumventing the globe in a single engine Cessna 210 Centurion if that counts. :sad:[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]

7. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT North Florida

Joe Walsh, met in person. And Jim Bonfante, drummer from the Rasberries. Don't recall his call as he upgraded to Extra and changed it. Also talked to the space shuttle on 2 meters. I think I have the cassette tape of that QSO somewhere.

On edit: I did meet Ronnie Milsap at the AES store in Cleveland, Ohio once. They had an open house event and he was there on a Saturday.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  8. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur Staff Member

Forgot about working U4MIR before it's demise. I have met several famous people while working security but they were not radio related.

9. EricExtreme

EricExtreme Member

I used to volunteer at the local science museum teaching astronomy. One day a group of boyscouts were up there working on a merit badge by working the international space station. I was able to jump in for a quick key up to say I had done it.

10. KG0MN

KG0MN W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I spent about 10 yrs working security at the grandstands at the Iowa State Fair and I usually worked the main gate to the infield which is where all the guest parked their trucks and vans or the main stage. I had the chance to meet a number of big name country recording stars and almost most of them are just common folks that have a different kind of job than most of us. The nicest bunch of folks that stick in my mind were the group Alabama (these guys are fun and have some great stories) and Barbara Mandell (small, cute and barrel of smiles). Now going to the opposite end of the scale one name sticks out that is Merle Haggard.