1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

Have you purchased ham gear because of this site? What was it?

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by Moleculo, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Moleculo Administrator Staff Member

With all of the information and reviews that members post about ham radio equipment on this site, I started wondering just how much these topics have influenced others to buy. So, I figured it would be fun to find out!

If you've purchased a piece of ham radio equipment and were influenced to do so because of this site, what was it?

2. wavrider W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Based on ROBB's recommendation and review of the IMAX 2000 I purchased it.

2 people like this.
  3. Black_Bart Member

i do more research, i do a google search which usually will include an eham.net review (i know eham has at least one troll who bad-mouths everything) search yahoo-groups, search blogspot and search youtube too, usually somebody will put a video on too and if something really is a complete piece of crap they will make some noise about it

I always search the heck out of something especially if what I want costs a lot of money

2 people like this.
  4. bamacj old ham

I havent purchased it yet, but due to your review of the K3 it will be my next rig.

5. RatsoW8 Supporting Member

The Beofeng UV-3R micro HT.

6. SmackDown Active Member

Does my Varmint XL-1000 count?

3's

7. st1ngr4y Member

Yes, my vx-8dr, based off of Moleculo's review of the vx-8r.

8. depark W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

You bet! After following the review threads of the Yaesu VX-8R and FTM-350 I purchased a VX-8DR with all the toys (GPS, Ext mic, Larger Battery, desk charger, BT board) and the original version of the FTM-350 (now updated) with all it's toys (GPS, BT Board and Voice Board). Both of which have been great investments. My next purchase will be the Baofeng UV-3R Mark II based on it's review.(y)

9. moose No good can come of this.

From this board, (and it's earlier incarnations) I have picked up some good used gear. Also not having and kind of HROs within a couple hours drive from here the reviews written, video or otherwise are about as close to touchy feeley as I can get to most equipment.

10. moose No good can come of this.

If I had the $1200 I would plunk it down on the IC-7000 I have been drooling over for months. Maybe come tax season I will unload a few amps and a radio and finally take the plunge to the 'other side'.

1 person likes this.
  11. FatHam Administrator Staff Member

Well let's see... Because of your site, I finally pulled the trigger and crossed "Ham ticket" off my bucket list seven months ago. Since getting my license in May, I've purchased an HF/VHF radio, two VHF/UHF mobiles, two VHF/UHF HT's, a 10m mobile, amp, tuner, power supply, meters, seven antennas, and hundreds of feet of wire and co-ax, connectors, etc...

Yes, your site has helped the economy. Had I not found it, I'd still be another one of those guys that LOVED CB as a kid and just never got around to getting the license to take it to the next level. Thanks. Thanks a TON!

My wife wishes I'd never found worldwidedx.com :eek:

Edit/Add - Oh yeah, and a recent battle with a balun caused a trip to the ER, allowing me to put another $1000 back in to the economy in the name of ham radio. lol

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    4 people like this.
  12. Mudfoot Supporting Member

I'm afraid Eham has more than trolls as it problem.

Majority of dudes just don't know how to operate their equipment, then they slam it with low marks.

1 person likes this.
  13. BJ radionut Supporting Member

ARod: Let's say congradt's...You are truley now part of the Ham radio community!

7 Month's a ham...multiple radio set-ups up and running...
    Antennas installed out the Wazu!.... And you've had only (1!) Oh **IT...
    (You know the formula:1000 attaboys = (1) Oh **IT):D
    Your doing well my friend...
    Enjoy
    Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays
    All the Best
    BJ

To advoid Hi-Jacking....
    Mole: I purchased a FT2900 due to info here..73

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  14. Se7en Well-Known Member

After reading the reviews on the Beofeng UV-3R on this forum, i broke down, swallowed my American pride and bought one

15. Once Bitten Member

I too swallowed my buy American pride and purchased the "BAOFENG UV-3R" after following Moleculo's review.
    I am not yet dissappointed.