• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heil GM-5 Goldline

Cameo

Mar 4, 2010
Has anyone used this microphone ? Will it work straight into the radio or do you have to use some kind of eq with it ? I talked to someone that said some dynamic mic's frequency responce are so broad they are too much for the radio to tame down without some kind of equalization.

I'm thinking tame isn't the word I wanted. What I was told is some dynamic mics with a wide frequency can sound muddy if not used with some kind of eq. I was wondering if anyone had that problem with this mic. I have a chance to buy one but I don't want to have to also buy an eq.

Heil Mic Q's

I guess the first questions is what radio do you plan on using this mic for?
SSB service/Ancient Modulation/FM?

Some op's do not like the Heil's...but I am running one on my
Yaesu FT-950 and LOVE it.
Everyone has commented to me how well it sounds. I have the GM-5 with the studio element and the HC-5 element(switchable). I always use the studio element 90% of the time.

I also have a Audio Technica " High Energy T1000" on my TS-450 Kenwood and get equally good reports with no EQ and No Speech processor.

So fill us in...how you intend to use this.
I also have several Shure/AKG's...and even a couple of old Ribbion Mics I use...Lots of choices just depends on your voice/radio/conditions...etc
All the Best
BJ
I forgot I changed over to the GM-5 about a year ago on my 950...the HM version on another rig right now...sorry for the typo!

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I am thinking of using it on SSB mostly. I may just go ahead and try it. I guess if there is a problem I could get a small eq off Ebay. I never heard of a GM-10. I have heard of a HM-10. Could you tell me more about it ? I have heard the FT-950 is a nifty radio.

Heil GM-5

I am running a GM-5 on a Kenwood TS570, and get nothing but excellent reports on it, and not using only the eq in the radio, and even times not even that. So depends on what radio you are wanting to put it on should have no problem if it is a Kenwood, Yeasu, Icom, etc.
I have had it on the radio for 3 years without not one complaint, and sounds even better than the Kenwood MC60 I am told.

Larry

I did some reading on the reviews for this microphone on Eham. Most posts dealt with using the microphone on rigs that have some sort of internal equalizer or transmit filter adjustment in them. Here is one comment that referred to your concern-

The Goldline GM-5 vastly improves the TX quality of the TS-480.

With the mic set to WIDE, the TS-480's TX Equalizer must be set to High Boost. If you do not, you will TX very muddy audio. I prefer HB1, but either HB1 or HB2 will work.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/270?page=3

Hope this helps.

Heil GM-5

Well,we could be here typing lot of words to explain what is going on today with some Heil mics but I am going to be the most simple possible for all of you to understand why its been said that this mic might sound "moody" in some radios.
If you see the "specs" of this good mic,it says it respond from 50 to 18,000 Hz.The majority of radios today on the market that TX on SSB will have a narrow audio spectrum that goes from 300 to 2700Hz because of its builtin 2.4 Khz SSB filter.This means that even the GM-5 have a low end reaching 50Hz on those radios 250 Hz of its range will be lost and also there won't be any chance to produce a moody audio because of the cut around 300Hz,also the radio will sound with just good "comunications quality" but not with wide audio,for me that is a waste of money for using a good mic on a standard radio when a cheap mic for less than 50 bucks will sound the same.
Now what happens with modern radios like the FT-950,FT-2000,TS-2000,TS-870,TS-590 (the newer),IC-756Pro series,IC-746Pro,etc ? Well all of those radios are capable to respond on TX as low as 40 Hz some of them meaning the full range of the GM-5 will pass trough the mic preamp and DSP BUT be carefull because there are some "dangerous" audio freqs around 200Hz that if not well equalized will produce easily the mentioned moodiness,so that is why on those modern radios If you don't know how to EQ properly the GM-5 you definitively will sound moody.Fortunately all those radios specially the FT-950 and FT-2000 has a very well designed 3 bands parametric EQ that will allow you to produce an excellent wide well balanced audio from 50 or 60Hz all the way up to 3000Hz with a nice and sweet modulation using this GM-5,In the case of Kenwood radios the company has preset some different EQ like BB1,BB2,HB1,HB1 and its up to you to test wich fit better with your voice to avoy the moody sound or another alternative is to use the free sofwares available at Kenwood website to equalize youself the TX audio using your PC/laptop.
With Icom radios the job is done easy trough the "bass" and "treble" settings of the menu.
Hope this clear the doubt about moody sound with the GM-5.
Thanks for reading.

Hector
AD4C
Lake Worth,FL

Some op's do not like the Heil's...
I also have a Audio Technica " High Energy T1000" on my TS-450 Kenwood and get equally good reports with no EQ and No Speech processor.../QUOTE]

i have to agree. Bob Heil is really "proud" of his mic's. they are WAY over priced.

i often tell someone that i am switching to a HEIL mic (and i don't change anything),.... and all of a sudden my audio improves :blink::blink:.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.