• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Heil pr 40 or 781?

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
Pr 40 or 781. It will be used with an ft 950. I know many factors come into play so under ideal operating conditions which would you choose and why?

I like the sound of the 781, it seems every PR 40 I heard on the air has a heavy sound to it. This maybe fine for recording and live performance, but I prefer a more balanced sound for radio broadcast.

Of course many factors play into that like using EQ, Compression, Mic proximity effect, and each one's individual voice range.

The 781 was designed from the start to be used with amateur radio and it cost much less than the PR40.

There are other excellent broadcast mics you may want to look at.

Check out the Electro-voice R20, or the RE320, and the Shure SM7B. But for less than $100, You can't go wrong with the good ol' Shure SM58.

All these mics will work fine using a Heil 3 pin XLR to your radio brand specific radio with an external PTT switch.

D104 mics can sound good on HF radio's as long as they are tamed down especially on SSB where that "big room" sound isn't necessary.

Last edited:
Here is my explanation about basic audio with some tips.

EQ is typically used as a corrective tool especially in the recording industry to help other instruments sit in the mix. If a Bass guitar is using to much energy in the low frequency range, it can muddy the mix so rolling off some lows will clear it up rather than just reducing it's level. Same for the high frequency range. Other times EQ can be used for an effect or to purposely enhance a certain range.

By definition, EQ alters natural sound. This is where people make mistakes or go to far with it because they have all kinds of sliders and knobs to play with, they feel compelled to use them all.

Compression is a tool to control the dynamic range of a audio signal. In radio this will flatten out your audio peaks so your audio level is consistent depending on the compression setting giving it consistent drive and punch. Too much compression and your audio will sound rather squashed and terrible and every breath you take will be loud and audible which I hate hearing . A little compression goes a long way. Best way IMHO is to set the processor level to where you see peaks up to 5 db but just under 10 db and your ALC meter showing an average scale in the center of the meter with your normal spoken voice.

Proximity effect occurs when you sit to close to the mic. This will drive the audio more but it also gives an increased bass response. The reverse is true and will also pick up more ambient room noise.

The PR40 sounds simply amazing with the right radio. I had/have issues with it on many radios other radios. But what you need is a radio the has a flat frequency response in the audio bandwidth. When I run 0 equilizer adjustments, it works perfect.
Its bassy on radios with poor high frequency response.

Why Heil?
The ft 950 has an inherent rfi issue when using studio type mics. Heil addressed that problem with a xlr cable specifically for the 950 (orange cover).
I've heard the pr 40 on a 7300, 991 and 746.
I enjoyed the sound of the mic.
Unfortunately I've never heard the 781.
I guess the reason I'm going with heil is that there designed for use with hf transceivers.
I'm not really into going through 3 or 4 different mics to figure out which ones going to sound good. 73

Here is my explanation about basic audio with some tips.

EQ is typically used as a corrective tool especially in the recording industry to help other instruments sit in the mix. If a Bass guitar is using to much energy in the low frequency range, it can muddy the mix so rolling off some lows will clear it up rather than just reducing it's level. Same for the high frequency range. Other times EQ can be used for an effect or to purposely enhance a certain range.

By definition, EQ alters natural sound. This is where people make mistakes or go to far with it because they have all kinds of sliders and knobs to play with, they feel compelled to use them all.

Compression is a tool to control the dynamic range of a audio signal. In radio this will flatten out your audio peaks so your audio level is consistent depending on the compression setting giving it consistent drive and punch. Too much compression and your audio will sound rather squashed and terrible and every breath you take will be loud and audible which I hate hearing . A little compression goes a long way. Best way IMHO is to set the processor level to where you see peaks up to 5 db but just under 10 db and your ALC meter showing an average scale in the center of the meter with your normal spoken voice.

Proximity effect occurs when you sit to close to the mic. This will drive the audio more but it also gives an increased bass response. The reverse is true and will also pick up more ambient room noise.
The ft 950 has a built in 3 band parametric equalizer and from my reading works very well. 73

Shure SM58. Heil is overrated.
Mike
I actually have an sm 58. I bought it when fooling with midfi and a Beringer 802. What a joke! I also purchased on of those interfaces ($100). I won't say who I bought it from because it's not his fault. It's the fault of us who don't listen and must try for ourselves. Maybe I'll give the sm 58 a try on the 950 but in the end I think I'm going to go with the pr 40. 73

Reactions: Grogan
I would try the SM58 on it and see how you like it. Especially since you already have one! Play with the EQ settings (plenty of baseline ones on the internet to get you started). If you have rfi issues, put a snap on ferrite on it. The SM58 is a pretty darned good mic, time proven, and should sound great with your Yaesu and 3 band parametric. If you're not satisfied and still want to play with the Heil, then I'd consider getting one. Your money, your shack, your choice. (y)

Brett

The 950 has a documented problem. Rf issue occur when using certain mics and xlr cables.
Just repeating what I've read. 73

That's interesting...owned the 950 since new 8-9 yrs go+...used many mics...Heil's/Audio Technica's/couple different AKG's and Shure's...
NEVER had RF problems...Good Cable and good Solder Technics/Quality Connectors...issue solved
I guess!
All the Best
Gary

My vote PR781...have one on my FT3000D...Used a Heil GOLD ELITE on the FT950 most of the time...everyone said it sound just like me "in-person"

Last edited:
Reactions: 543_Dallas
The ft 950 has a built in 3 band parametric equalizer and from my reading works very well. 73
I'm sure it does. The EQ's built into quality HF rigs like yours are usually optimized for voice and the bandpass of the radio. I was referring to the use of outboard EQ's mainly.

Even still, using EQ as a corrective measure usually will work best as opposed to boosting certain frequencies for an enhanced bass response for example. EQ isn't a one-way street, cutting highs can actually bring out the low mids and lows just as a low cut can bring out the upper mids and highs. Feel free to experiment.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.