• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hello, Input on vector 4000 antennas

Hello to all ,first time post ,actually first time using a forum,Please bare with me! Been looking for a replacment antenna, been using an starduster (1/4 wave) antenna and lacking the reception that im searching for.I have seen several claims on the vector 4000 from better then a 5/8 wave to stating that it,s a 7/8 wave. So as the db claims differ from different suppliers. I'm am not concerned with the wind survival rate( I have some ideas on how i'll handel that). Can anyone enlighten me to the true facts about this antenna??? and if there's any updated vector 4000 antennas( some pictures show a wire ball on the top of some of these antennas while others do not. Also open to other omni antennas that will get me as much or more db gain. Any mods to this antenna that help with static or unwanted interferance. Thanks and look forward to Your input. 101 Jim

Last edited:

Good to have you here on the forum. You aren't the only one wanting the answers to the questions you've asked.
There are some incredibly well versed people on this site. There is a very deeply discussed thread regarding this antenna active right now. The purpose of the thread is to separate fact from fiction concerning this antenna, and to do that by exploring the science behind it. There are merchants who will sell you one and tell you the marketing pitch for it. Hang around until the analysis is done, or join the discussion, and you can read what is discovered. The quick answer can be Googled.
Homer

welcome tp fourm
first checkout the maco 5/8 great alumin antenna at under 100. its a no brainer
second checkout the imax 2000 best fiberglass antenna EVER
these are the other 2 great performers with a nice price

The Vector 4000 is the highest gain omni directional antenna being manufactured at this time. The antenna will however fall apart if you sneeze on it. Cover your mouth or turn away from the antenna. It's a shame because the antenna is a top performer. One can always replace the top sections with some real tubing since this is where they always break. The antenna design is controversial and created many false reports about it being no better then a half wave by those who do not understand it's operation.

While there are modifications that can improve it's performance it should be noted that the antenna works great right out of the box. The modifications that are being attempted would only improve performance slightly and at this point it still seems premature to determine the best way to modify the current design. It has been recently changed by Sirio and reflects the improvements people on this site have been claiming.

If signal strength outweighs durability for your application, the Vector is your choice. This is also one of the few antennas with enough bandwidth to cover both 10 and 11 meters without a tuner. The Maco V58 is the next best choice, then the Imax 2000. Personally, I'd buy the Vector, get rid of the ball on top and replace some of that weak aluminum tubing on top. Assemble and tune the antenna as per spec, then replace the weak junk on top. Adjust the top length to get the VSWR back to flat.

Reactions: Chris120

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.