• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HELP! Know anyone who can convert New 80w 257 Magnum for CB use?

U.S.CIA

Apr 20, 2010
Searching for websites who convert the New 80w Magnum for CB use?

Can't find anyone who will email me.

Can I do it myself?
Is it easy?

I could do that...but then...

Welcome to the forum.
BTW - say 'Hi' to cousin Wadsie for me...

The new Magnum 257 HP has a different board for frequency conversion from earlier versions of this same model. They used to have a jumper that had only two positions that you could use. It came from the factory with the default setting allowing for 10m use with repeater functions. The second jumper position/setting expands frequencies from 25.165mhz to 29.699mhz. In the latter setting, repeater offset functions are disabled.

The NEW model has the same jumper/freq conversion board that the Magnum OmegaForce S-45 has.
There are now four different jumper positions possible now for the 257.

CON 1:
10 Meter Only (28.000 - 29.699 MHz)
*Default mode
*All functions operate normally

CON 2:
10 Meter & Expanded Mode
*At turn on, the radio defaults to 10 Meter mode.
*For Expanded mode, press FUNC and then press CALL for 3 seconds.
*To return to 10 Meter mode, repeat above steps.
(For information on Expanded mode operation, see CON 3)
Also known as 'stealth mode'

CON 3:
Expanded Mode Only (25.165 - 29.699 MHz)
*In Expanded mode, the frequency range is divided into 10 bands of 40 channels each
Bands are shown on LCD display by letters (A through J) - Band E is regular 40 channel CB. To switch bands, press the CALL button (do not hold down for 3 seconds),
*In Expanded mode, either the frequency or channel can be displayed on the LCD. To switch between frequency display and channel display, press the FUNC button and then press the CALL button (do not hold down for 3 seconds).
*On the channel display, the small number (0 - 9) to the right of the Band letter is the 1 kHz frequency display. Example: If the frequency is 27.405, then the channel display will indicate 40 E5. "40" being the channel, "E" being the Band, and "5" being the 1 kHz position of 27.405.
*In Expanded mode, the RPT and SHIFT functions do not operate

CON 4:
40 Channel CB Only (26.965 - 27.405 MHz)
*Only operates on the regular 40 CB channels

Source:
Magnum Omegaforce S45 Service Manual

But now that I've told ya; I'll have to kill ya...

Attachments

• minimax_2.jpg
    minimax_2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2
Usually when you buy a radio from a quality cb shop they tune and convert the radio before they ship it out. That said you can send it to any of the below listed shops.

1) Bob's cb in PA
2) DTB Radio (forum member here)
3) Custom cb Radio (Indiana)
4) Sparkys cb Shack (Illinois)
5) 8541 Electronics (Richard aka Sharpshooter)

I guess thats what happens when you get "a deal" on e-bay, Coppers, or H & Y. Now you can spend the money you saved on having a real tech tune and convert it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.