• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help reading morse code of a HF beacon?

btu44

Nov 6, 2013
I found this beacon which must be close to me because I hear it clearly all the time.
I believe it is this one:
28.244 WA6APQ C LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA # 30W, VERTICAL
Here is a recording:
https://youtu.be/mxsKe7ZWQ4Y
I just do not understand morse code so I can't tell. I tried a PC based morse code translator but it produced gibberish.

Can someone tell me if this is WA6APQ?
If it is, I wonder why when I tune to 28.244 I can not here tones?
Of the frequencies I tuned to in the video, which was the correct frequency of the beacon? Do you tell by the pitch of the tone burst?

Get yourself a software program that has morse on it. Suggest multipsk, it is free and copies morse great even at the noise level.

DOCTOR/795

I found this beacon which must be close to me because I hear it clearly all the time.
I believe it is this one:
28.244 WA6APQ C LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA # 30W, VERTICAL
Here is a recording:
https://youtu.be/mxsKe7ZWQ4Y
I just do not understand morse code so I can't tell. I tried a PC based morse code translator but it produced gibberish.

Can someone tell me if this is WA6APQ?
If it is, I wonder why when I tune to 28.244 I can not here tones?
Of the frequencies I tuned to in the video, which was the correct frequency of the beacon? Do you tell by the pitch of the tone burst?

Yep thats what I got. frequencies right, Problem is your SSB offsets vs carrier frequency try the other sideband it will be 2.5 high

Yep your right. In LSB the center frequency is 28.246Mhz. I'm just scratch the surface of knowledge of such things but don't you need a two tone generator to realign. Sending the Optima back and forth to New Zealand is just about the cost of the radio so that's not an option. I assume if I find a good tuner in the L.A area this is a basic fix?

Get yourself a software program that has morse on it. Suggest multipsk, it is free and copies morse great even at the noise level.

DOCTOR/795
I first tried using CW Decode using a pre-recorder WAV file. It didn't work so well although I'm not terribly sure I had it configured correctly. I loaded MultiPSK on to my computer and looked like a good solution. Unfortunately the free version will not read WAV files. Takes $45 license and at this time it's not a $45 problem.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
Yep your right. In LSB the center frequency is 28.246Mhz. I'm just scratch the surface of knowledge of such things but don't you need a two tone generator to realign. Sending the Optima back and forth to New Zealand is just about the cost of the radio so that's not an option. I assume if I find a good tuner in the L.A area this is a basic fix?

Nothing wrong with the radio .You dont have a separate offset for cw on that set . If you adjust it ,your ssb will be out .Just the way it is, not designed for CW.The display is the carrier frequency not the actual frequency( ssb frequency, just like all cb sets) Two tone gen is for ssb TX alignment and testing.

Nothing wrong with the radio .You dont have a separate offset for cw on that set . If you adjust it ,your ssb will be out .Just the way it is, not designed for CW.The display is the carrier frequency not the actual frequency( ssb frequency, just like all cb sets) Two tone gen is for ssb TX alignment and testing.

Ahh...thanks for clearing that up. I was just about to send a email to Yeticom to see if they can help me fix the "problem".

I see I'm at the point were I know just enough to be dangerous LOL. But I'm having fun learning about this stuff. Probably an after effect of 5 years on an aircraft carrier as an EW Technician. Spent countless hours looking for RF signal and direction. Basically an expensive Fox Hunt.

I installed this free app, Morse Code Reader, on my Android and was able to discern what our local 10 meter repeater was. It sorta-kinda works depending on the level of ambient noise and speed of transmission. You also need to mess with the speaker volume on your CW receiver and/or mic gain on your Android host device to get it dialed in to detect properly.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jfedor.morsecode

I installed this free app, Morse Code Reader, on my Android and was able to discern what our local 10 meter repeater was. It sorta-kinda works depending on the level of ambient noise and speed of transmission. You also need to mess with the speaker volume on your CW receiver and/or mic gain on your Android host device to get it dialed in to detect properly.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jfedor.morsecode

In a decision that I have regretted for the last year and a half is I have a Windows 8 Phone and of course there is no such app for me. Thanks for the suggestion anyways :)

Or, an Android tablet. That's what I use in the shack along side my Windows laptop :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?