• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with rfi

Hello R71 and All: Yeah good deal, I also wanted to say thank you to Nomadradio there for his great input on Modulation Technique adjustment vrs the TVI issue. Good stuff to know from hands on experience. And the 3CX800 tube swap, impressive.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

I finally had some free time tpday to try and figure this out.
I found a single small wire taped to my antenna tower. I followed it back into the house through a hole that the satellite coax runs through. Across the ceiling taped to the satellite cable right into another hole in my living room upstairs straight into the antenna jack of the surround sound.

My only guess is one of the kids ran a wire outside to get a better signal for the stereo, and it also explains where a brand new roll of wire went.

well the first step would be to put back any of the modulation limiters that have probably been cut in that radio, and return it to 100% modulation. IE: back to a stock radio.

If you insist on running it modded, then all i can say is good luck to you in your RFI abatement.

pretty much all consumer grade electronics these days skip the RF shielding, and bypass capacitors that help mitigate this type of interference in order to save money.

most likely, all the wires going to the speakers are acting like little antennas and picking up your transmissions.

get a bunch of snap on ferrite beads, and wrap three or four turns of speaker wire through them.
do this at both ends of the speaker wires.

If this cuts down on the interference but doesn't completely cure it, start adding more ferrite until it gets down to an acceptable level.

if it doesn't seem to make any difference, you are probably overloading something with your RF and might need to consider moving the antenna to the opposite side of the house.

here are some good articles on RFI:
http://www.arrl.org/radio-frequency-interference-rfi

https://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/TV-...dio-interference-in-stereo-or-audio-equipment

http://palomar-engineers.com/rfi-kits

hope this helps,
LC
Check out the first 50 seconds of this clip. You'll probably wind up watching the whole clip itself, but the first 50 seconds might give you a very good idea or at least eliminate the issue which is brought up in the video. Good luck 73

I don't know why the video doesn't want to play. I think you're familiar with Mike and his page. You can look up the video listed as
(golden screwdrivers stop playing with and adjusting the 54 megahertz trap filter circuit in CB radios)
good luck my friend.

Last edited:
Check out the first 50 seconds of this clip. You'll probably wind up watching the whole clip itself, but the first 50 seconds might give you a very good idea or at least eliminate the issue which is brought up in the video. Good luck 73

I can't get the video to play. Get error message that says, "This video is unavailable."

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?