• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

help with screwdriver antenna

WR3143

WR3143
Sep 11, 2009
Portland
Anyone seen this or know who built it?
I own it, came with a radio I bought. I'm familiar with how they work, etc. except I've never seen one with these coil taps at the bottom.
Any Ideas?

20160625_155538_zpstatx91sl.jpg

20160625_155528_zpsfz4f45xd.jpg

20160625_155451_zpslfwhcffa.jpg

20160625_155621_zpscuxaf3vm.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic,.... is the motor lead running through the center of the matching coil?(n)

also,... that single wrap around the ferrite is not nearly enuf.

Yes, homemade.
It's a DK3 design but I'm pretty sure it's not one of his builds.

The lead with the choke on it is the drive motor power. It does work. I can wrap more loops.

Looking for info on the coil taps in the pic as I have not seen them on one of these antennas yet.
Thanks

Hard to tell from the pic,.... is the motor lead running through the center of the matching coil?(n)

also,... that single wrap around the ferrite is not nearly enuf.
No. The power lead enters the tube above the coil. It had mini Anderson connectors on it.
I powered it and the antenna goes up and down as it should.

How many wraps on the ferrite coil should it have?

if it is indeed the motor drive that goes through the core...tarheel says to wrap their power lead thru theirs at least 3 times...

... the choke can go on the vehicle side of the Anderson connectors, right?

if it is indeed the motor drive that goes through the core...tarheel says to wrap their power lead thru theirs at least 3 times...

any wire before the feedpoint will act as an antenna, get the feedline choke as close to the feedpoint as possible.

I have a Tarheel, the ferrite they provided is in my junque box.;)

My mix 31 3/4 inch ferrite has 13 wraps on the motor lead. same on the feedline.

this is not my install photo, but mine is very similar, except mine is mounted as high as possible to get as much coil above the roofline as possible.
notice both the feedline and the motor leads are on separate chokes
1-vk5nm-2.jpg

Reactions: WR3143 and Obed
agreed...every mobile antenna i have ever installed, i either made a choke balun or installed cores on the line...I have used 4 different brands of screwdrivers over the years and made one of my own...if you do not use the core (or some kind of core) on the drive line, as was stated it will act as part of the antenna and can affect your tuning on some, if not all of the bands.
I just bought two tarheel antennas that I have not installed yet...
a little tarheelhp to put on the wifes ranger and a 100 to put on one of my truck...thanks for the heads up on their core, I will check that out and see how it goes.
I plan to do the wifes install this weekend... will be another week or two before I get around to doing my truck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.