• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HELP WITH TRIPPLITE 60 AMP SUPPLY

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I need a transformer for this thing and I called Tripplie and they do not repair or sell parts if its warrantied they send a new one and if its not they said they will sell me a new one for $179.95 I dont need a new one nor will I ever buy another one after finding this all out. I just want to find a Transformer for this one that I have. Anyone have any Ideas on where the heck I can start with looking or anyone have a parts unit lying around?? Thanks for any help in advance this really has me P.OED.

Ok I found through one of my parts distrubutors a 12 Volt 90 Amp would this work? I was thinkling this would be nice because there would be plenty of breathing room with a 90 Amp transformer in a 60 Amp supply if this indeed would work

Not sure about tripp lite but I was thinking that the transformers for alot of those supplies were 18-24VAC on the secondary then they are rectified and are regulated from there thru a voltage regulator and pass transistors.

Ask the tech support guys what voltage should you be seeing at the input to the rectifier. This should be the voltage you need for the secondary of your transformer.

My Tripp Lite PR-40a has about 25 volts DC across the filter cap before the regulator. I just measured it to be sure. That leaves plenty of room for the voltage to sag and still maintain regulation. You would need a transformer with about 18 volts AC on the secondary for that.I would go no higher as the regulator may not handle the higher voltage but the big problem is the extra heat the pass transistors must handle. At 60 amps,every extra volt means an extra 60 watts of heat.

On edit:

I just took a look at the schematic of the PR-60d. It has a dual winding secondary. One winding is for the power supply output and the other is for the regulator circuit. You will need a similar transformer unless you can install a second smaller transformer to run the regulator circuit AND know what you are doing.

As QRN said 18VAC on secondary which would be @ 25VDC once rectified 18*1.414=25.5ish.

QRN is is possible I could get you to shoot me that shematic? Don't believe I have any for tripp lite PS's.

I will PM you an email addy if you will.

For 60 Amp continuous you need an 95 amp transformer, x .707 = just 60 amps after rectification.

Voltage goes up then, amps go down remember?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.