• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Here you go guys!

I get that they are great radios, probably one of the best cobra labeled radios ever made. But I do not understand why they command such a high price on certain online auction sites, I'm expecting to see this one skyrocket in the last few hours before bidding closes.

I get that they are great radios, probably one of the best cobra labeled radios ever made. But I do not understand why they command such a high price on certain online auction sites, I'm expecting to see this one skyrocket in the last few hours before bidding closes.

You said it yourself. These are great radios. One of the best (if not the best) Cobra radios ever made. If you still don't understand why they command a premium price, then I can't even try to explain it to you.

You said it yourself. These are great radios. One of the best (if not the best) Cobra radio ever made. If you still don't understand why they command a premium price, then I can't even try to explain it to you.

Here I go putting my foot in my mouth! I understand why it means so much to some people. I just don't place as much value on that radio as somebody else might. I guess that's why I was kind of initially shocked when I first went to eBay to try to find one.

That said I would still love to own one, and if I get lucky enough one day I will. For the amount of money I would spend trying to outbid somebody or pay a ridiculously high Buy-It-Now price, I could buy some half-decent (used) test equipment. We all have our priorities, kind of funny that I was on that website earlier today and saw that exact same radio!

-Sam

Last edited:
By the time one re-caps it and make sure everything else is OK, it may seem like a bit less of a bargain. But one could do a whole lot worse. That is why I like the old 5 pin cobra 148GTL's; they are the same radio with less bells and whistles. But the whistles and bells of the 2000 are nice - too.

Rebuilt my share of 148s and still have them . . .

Reactions: LeapFrog
. just helping out the masses.

How far wrong can you go for $5?
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/2003-Harley-Davidson-Cobra-CB-Radio-31809499.html

14470412711271ht.JPG

4137822711271ht.JPG

By the time one re-caps it and make sure everything else is OK, it may seem like a bit less of a bargain. But one could do a whole lot worse. That is why I like the old 5 pin cobra 148GTL's; they are the same radio with less bells and whistles. But the whistles and bells of the 2000 are nice - too.

Rebuilt my share of 148s and still have them . . .
How close is the 2000 to the madison (uniden or president).
Are the chassis used on the 2000 substantially different? Ic so what's the major difference?
What would make the 2000 perform better than the madison (or visa versa?)
The reason I'd never consider owning a 2000 or the similar cobra base is the odd (at leat to me) look of the rig itself.
I've heard them referred to piano or keyboard style.
That look never appealed to me.
The 2000's I've heard sound very nice.
Thanks.

Guys what I really want to know is how much better the Cobra 2000 GTL receiver is over my Cobra 19 DX mobile?! I mean besides the lack of RF gain + Delta tune!
Both radios have double conversion receivers after all, so what key differences & sensitivity points should I be looking for? (Perhaps the value of first I.F. stage is important regarding received signal bandwidth..) So which one is better and why?

[ ...Also I bought a Cobra 142 GTL base station, I heard the transmitter is very similar to that of the 148 GTL & 2000 GTL radios.... (is it?) ]

I know that the receiver sounds sub-par on my 142 GTL, it only has a single conversion receiver, and in its current state it needs to be recapped and realigned to sound better. Even then I know the receiver will never perform like that of a 148/2000 GTL.

Also the 142 GTL is the same as a Uniden Washington I think?!.
Thanks
-Leap

Last edited:
The 142, 148, and 2000 are all very stable in SSB mode for CB radios. Not a small deal, as many radios cannot make that claim. The 148 and 2000 schematics are - for practical purposes - nearly the same radio with nearly the same operating specs. The receive in the 148 and 2000 are dual stage receivers, while the 142 is a single stage receiver.

The Madison radio came with different chassis over its production run, as the early chassis used the 858 pll IC chip instead of the 8719 pll found in the later radios. Madison was more of a box style/packaging for the chassis, while the 2000 has always been mfd with the 8719 pll chassis, The Pres Washington was also in the same category as well, as its history was also made with either the 858 or 8719 chassis . . .

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated