• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HM-36 Mic Mod...Clarification Needed

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
Initially it states to remove R1 and C2 and replace C1.

A note below the second pic states that since R1 and C2 are in series only C2 was removed.

So, all I need to do is remove C2 and replace C1, and leave R1 alone, correct ???

Modification of the new ICOM HM-36 microphone. By SE5X Lennart Deimert.

I need to try something, this mic is horrid sounding with my deep voice.

Edit: would Rat Shack normally carry this cap?

I am familiar with his work and thought about sending my mic to him.

I thought about trying this mod first since it would be cheap, easy and give me something to do. I am also keeping an eye out for an older new or used Japanese made mic.

Crap,

Now I don't know which one to do.

I may try n9ewo's version first.

Thanks for link.

Yeah I would, that is just removal, if you do not like it you can always add the cap.

Let me know it goes, I was going to send mine out for the mic element

I ended up with a Japanese made mic.

Thanks for the comeback, I just did this mod just replacing the R3 with a 2k, I don't know about AM yet, but sideband says I sound great, loud and clear.Mine is a China mic.
AM is where I need the improvement.Am thinking about going with a Heil mic, have you tried that yet.I have a ic 718

Just talked to a guy in San Diego, Calif on AM and he said my Modulation was great and not to touch anything so I suppose that mod is a good one.

Do you still have this radio and how did your outcome work for you?
I did a mic mod on mine and so far I have had great reports on AM as well as SideBand and keep mike gain at around 50%, so far so good.
Read this post
73's

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?