• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homebrew D-Star Repeater using the Odroid-C1 PC.

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
A couple of years ago, I started messing around with homebrewing D-Star stuff. I eventually put together a homebrew D-Star UHF repeater using a couple of Motorola GM300 radios, a DVRPTR V1 board (for the DV encoding / decoding) and an old HP mini laptop running Windows 7. This laptop worked OK, but was really underpowered and couldn't even run a live dashboard for the repeater. You can see some pics of the original repeater here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/w9wdx-b-homebrew-d-star-repeater-updates.168330/

A few weeks ago, I learned of the new $37 ODROID quad-core computers, which are basically a souped-up raspberry PI with several improvements. Even though I had decided against using the PI for the repeater controller, I had kept current with the Pi / D-Star crowd and was familiar with the configuration. I decided to convert the repeater to the Odroid in the hopes that performance would improve and also with the intent of getting a live dashboard running.

My order from ameriDroid.com consisted of the Odroid-C1 ($37), a clear case ($5), a 5V, 2A power supply ($10), a Real Time Clock battery ($3), and some miscellaneous cables. I already had a 16GB MicroSD card that I would repurpose.

Adrian, VK4TUX is really the guy pushing the envelope on getting the D-Star Repeater and Ircddbgateway packages running on all types of devices, and he quickly released an Odroid image once the devices were shipping. By the time I got mine, I had already downloaded his image and was ready to get it configured. Unfortunately, after the first install and configuration of the D-Star software, I could not get the D-Star Repeater software to work correctly with the DVRPTR V1 board. Adrian was gracious enough to offer assistance, spending a couple of hours troubleshooting the driver and device startup timing issues. The repeater was working pretty good when he was done, but today he informed that that he had new drivers for the DVRPTR V1 and a kernel update that would solve the issue permanently. I know have the repeater moved over to the Odroid and it's working great!

Here's a pic of the Odroid PC sitting on top of the repeater cabinet next to the DVRPTR V1 board:

3324-1423549116-c22ba62131c730f4acc31160735e42b2.jpg

Here's a screenshot of a VNC terminal showing the Odroid running the D-Star Repeater and ircddbgateway:

3325-1423549125-03f3b5276d740a0bda077a614f0bbf9b.jpg

And, here's a link to the live dashboard where you can see last heard, last connected, etc.: http://www.worldwidedx.com/W9WDX/

The repeater gateway can now also be controlled using the Ircddb Remote software available as a free download for Android or iOS. This app allows you to connect or disconnect your hotspot or repeater to any other reflector or hotspot using your phone instead of RF commands. It works great!

I'll have an image of the W9WDX repeater OS and configuration available shortly for any others that would like to try out the Odroid - the image will work as a hotspot or repeater with only minor changes!

Reactions: Jake Mok

I'm thinking about doing something similar and instead of reinventing the wheel I want to see if I could pick you brain.

I'm looking at buying a used GR300 repeater for this they come with duplexer, power supply just like what you have as a setup. When I look on ebay for the repeater are there anything I should be carful about.

Any advise on programing these radios?

as for running this in the back yard, what are the rule of thumb for getting/using a frequency pairs?

I'm thinking about doing something similar and instead of reinventing the wheel I want to see if I could pick you brain.

I'm looking at buying a used GR300 repeater for this they come with duplexer, power supply just like what you have as a setup. When I look on ebay for the repeater are there anything I should be carful about.

Any advise on programing these radios?

as for running this in the back yard, what are the rule of thumb for getting/using a frequency pairs?

Sorry, don't know how I missed this post.

If you buy on ebay, just make sure that they seller says that they work. You can program them yourselves, although you may need to have someone align them for you if you don't have the right test gear. They're pretty darn reliable, though. For programming, I just bought a simple ribless cable off ebay, as well. You will need an old computer with a real serial port to get the software to work - that's the biggest problem.

Regarding frequency pairs: that really depends on your location. Here in Los Angeles, frequency pairs are impossible to come by but your location may be different. In the U.S., it is perfectly OK to put up an uncoordinated repeater as long as it doesn't interfere with a coordinated repeater.

One last thing: if you do buy these radios, familiarize yourself with the 16 pin accessory plug. Be careful with pin 16 - you can pop the internal pico fuse and then the radio won't power on until you replace it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.