1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

How many HT's have you owned through the years?

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by Moleculo, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator Staff Member

I don't know why, but I was wondering to myself how many HT's I've owned. I know it's not all that many compared to some of you guys, but I think it would be an interesting topic. Also, which one did you hate the most and which one is/was your favorite?

Here's my list:
    Icom IC-T90A - My first HT and one of my favorites user interfaces. Unfortunately I had one of the early models that had such bad intermod, it was unusable on 2m in L.A.

Yaesu VX-5r - only had this one for a short time. It might have been a loaner, I don't remember

Yaesu VX-6r - Used it for a while and traded it for something, I don't remember what

Yaesu VX-7r - Got stolen before it was very old. The biggest complaint that I had with the VX-5,6,7r was that the user interface wasn't very intuitive. If you didn't have a photographic memory, you weren't going to remember how to do certain features. They were always pretty rugged and reliable, though.

Kenwood TH-F6a - one of my favorites. I had this one for several years before I sold it to buy a new one. The only HT I ever owned that had LSB, USB, & CW RX capability on HF. I with I still had one.

Yaesu VX-2r - Good little radio for your pocket. Worked good for what it is.

Yaesu VX-8r - Still have it. Still love it. Some things could be improved (like the price!) but GPS, APRS, mega memories, waterproof, bluetooth, all very fun to play with

Alinco DJ-G7 - Crossband repeat on any two bands and also has 1.2 Ghz. Good, basic rugged radio. Easy to use, but some quirks. Nothing fancy, but not too pricey either. Comes with a lot of accessories for the price. 1.2Ghz on an HT is not all it's cracked up to be.

What's on my wish list: The new Kenwood APRS HT coming out 2010.

What's your HT story?
    1 person likes this.

2. GLR

GLR Keeping It Good Natured

hmmm...I've owned a bunch but very rarely have I owned a new one other than the Chinese HT's which these days I strongly prefer

I'd have to spend some time looking and thinking back to come up with a complete list.

Had very few Yaesu radios, more Icoms.
  3. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Administrator

2-HTX-202

HTX-404

HTX-420
  4. KingCobra_CDX882

KingCobra_CDX882 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

T90a ( always liked it )
    IC-91AD ( very good indeed.. using computer for memories)
    THF6a (2 of them...not as good as icoms except having 220 band)
    Motorola 1250LS ( nice but not exactly my cup of tea )
  5. 74IN

74IN Well-Known Member

None.

The house has three rigs(706MKIIG,Yeasu 8100, Kenwood 430), the Jeep has a dual band (Yeasu 8500), the work truck has a 2M ( Icom 2000).

I can cope without constant radio contact.:LOL:

Well, maybe.:laugh:
  6. HiDef

HiDef Active Member

Drake TR-22

Yaesu FT-208R

Icom O2A
  7. KingCobra_CDX882

KingCobra_CDX882 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

That O2A is designed for sat work If i remember right ?
    How do you like it ?
  8. Radio Tech

Radio Tech Radio Operator

The O2A was one of the older Icom HT's. The thing was the size of a brick. And about as rugged as one. I had about 5 of these at one time. I also had the O3 and O4. 220 & 440mhz. 10 men channels and 5 watts. Those were good rigs.

Since I worked at both GE and EF johnson in the past, my HT count is well above 75 or so. I have about 15 or so at the present.
    Icom's
    Kenwood
    Realistic
    ADI
    Wilsom
    Standard
  9. Wire Weasel

Wire Weasel Senior Moment

HTX 202

IC W32A (2) Had one of the first generation of these which would obtain a goodly amount of out-of-band reach including 800mhz with a simple Keyboard Command
  10. Chop

Chop Active Member

Realistic TRC-207
    Realistic TRC-216
    Realistic TRC-234
    Vertex VX-150
    Wouxun KG-UVD1p
  11. milkman21218

milkman21218 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Only one Yaesu VX-170
  12. surfpaddler

surfpaddler Member

My first handheld was an Icom IC-2GAT. nice built like a brick, 6 or 7 watts as I recall. Sold it years ago.

I currently have two VX-8r's and a Kenwood Th-22at. I love the Kenwood; simple, compact, easy to store channels in memory. Feels good in my hand. 6 watts output with a larger battery!

The VX-8's are an incredible bit of engineering. So much in so little space. I wish they had a little different design for their waterproof enclosure. Mine spend most of their time in the water, unfortunately salt-water. Even with a fresh water rinse after use the metal exposed is showing signs of attack. My stand alone GPS is a garmin and has no exposed metal components, this woudl have been nice on the VX-8. Oh well. maybe next time.

I wish Kenwood made a waterproof HT. Clearly my desires are not in the mainstream. I love tiny and multi featured.
  13. cliffdweller

cliffdweller Member

Tempo S1 (no DTMF)-long since bit the dust
    Yaesu FT-411 (with FTS-17 Tone Encoder)-still have this one, rcvr front-end not so hot
    Icom IC-T7H
  14. wx5atx

wx5atx Member

In Order

HTX-202
    Kenwood TH-79a
    Icom IC-DELTA1A! Real dumb to let it go
    Alinco DJ-580
    Another ICOM IC-DELTA1A but it was a tech special. never got it to work
    Yaesu VX-7R
    And yes ANOTHER IC-DELTA1A that i got for a steel on ebay for $140
    another vx-7r
    and last but not least my new addition Yaesu VX-8R which this one is the only ham radio I have left.
    hard times call for hard sacrifices but you got to do what you got to do but i will build it up again but love the vx-8r
  15. 89gta

89gta W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Hmmm, Let me think....This should be it I believe:

Yaesu VX-2R
    Yaesu VX-6R
    Yaesu Vx-7R
    Yaesu VX-8R
    Yaesu FT-50R
    Yaesu FT-60R
    Kenwood TH-F6A
    Kenwood TH-G71
    Icom IC-91AD