• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How To Listen To Your CB Audio ?

Eastside

Apr 29, 2011
I am running rack gear and i need to be able to hear my audio that I am broadcasting...so I can fine tune it......i am aware of the one on ebay for $70......there has to be a cheaper way?

images

If you are using it on AM, then that is a relatively easy thing to do. You need to make an RF sampler (L1; just wrap a few winds of wire around your antenna coax), and then add a germanium diode so that the signal can be demodulated. Don't need the variable cap (C1) as shown in the schematic; instead use a resistor there. Then using a xformer instead of headphones, you can bring it to an audio input to an amp/equalizer. SSB is harder to do.

Last edited:
I always used a second rig with the RF gain turned down, no antenna connected, through a set of headphones. Not economical unless you have a second rig already. :)

Brett

Reactions: camaro1
I recently saw what you are asking about on e-bay.

It was basically an in-line unit like Robb outlined.
You used a coax jumper into the assembled unit
between the antenna and the transmitter.
Your headphones are plugged in for you to monitor.
It was $39.00.

I looked again ad did not see it.
I believe these are often listed.

Reactions: Eastside
I always used a second rig with the RF gain turned down, no antenna connected, through a set of headphones. Not economical unless you have a second rig already. :)

Brett
I tried that.....didnt work....lots of feedback.

I recently saw what you are asking about on e-bay.

It was basically an in-line unit like Robb outlined.
You used a coax jumper into the assembled unit
between the antenna and the transmitter.
Your headphones are plugged in for you to monitor.
It was $39.00.

I looked again ad did not see it.
I believe these are often listed.

If you can find it.....for that price....post it here....more options the better.

Could u use this device to listen to your radios audio output and use it to fine tune your audio going through your rack gear...or is there a lag time that would make it not good for that?

Also does it come with the software to make it work on yer pc?

The software comes with it. Think that HDSDR will also work too - IIRC. Hams will wire the IF output directly to these dongles and monitor receive in real time; so I doubt there is much lag time - if any. The filters are fully adjustable for width, so you should be easily able to adjust your audio.

The one I saw was similar to what you show above.
It had a headphone out and 2 SO 239s for
the coax on a metal box for $39.00.
I have lost the link. If I see it I'll post it.

I just found this one.
With an external speaker it should work. $10.00
eBay item #321467331526

That's no different than adding talkback to the radio with a resistor across the PA and ext speaker jack. You are hearing what comes out of the audio chip but not what you're transmit actually sounds like.

Last edited by a moderator:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.