• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to Save Ham Radio Series 4 and 5

N1IC

Mar 2, 2013
How to Save Ham Radio

How to Save Ham Radio – Parts 4 & 5 – N1IC – The Easiest Two!

So first of all let me say that I had a started 4 and 5 a long time ago when I was writing this series but due to some personal challenges with my health I had to take a step back from blog posting and this series … with that said I wanted to close it out. 4 and 5 as I started writing them were both serious topics but I wanted to combine them since one will be a little more controversial than the other and hopefully 5 will help bring everyone back from their thoughts on the 4th part J

I think one of the best things we could do is to gain the interest of the younger generation. They would be tomorrows hams. Our local high school had a ham radio club and the middle school had a CB club to get you primed. Of course all of this has been replaced with computer classes today so most kids are totally unaware this hobby even exists.

The computer and smart phone will continue to rule with this group but you will certainly find some who would gain an interest in radio. If you've got a good radio club in your city, consider contacting someone at the schools and maybe coordinate a field day activity at the school. If that's not possible, consider having your club hold a youth day to expose people to the hobby.

So many younger people today think it's not much more than a walkie talkie that you talk around town on like a CB. They don't know we send TV and bounce signals off the moon! They don't consider how vulnerable their cell phones are to the infrastructure that supports them and how radio works well with nothing to support it.

The middle school district I was attended did not have and radio club. However, my science teacher overheard me talking about radio one day and asked if I could bring in a short-wave radio to demonstrate how it worked to the class. I had just got a new DX-300 for Christmas and with a piece of wire attached to the metal frame of the drop ceiling we picked up stations all over the world and gained 2 new hams over the next few months.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.