1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

HR-2510 Mic

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Watergate, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Watergate

Watergate Well-Known Member

I'm just looking for everybody's two cents on this. What is the best mic for the HR-2510 in your opinions. I'm interested in a mobile application, and the original mic was not included when I bought the radio. I am currently using a Cobra coffin mic.

2. WA2SI

WA2SI Member

Astatic D-104 M6B

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

3. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Supporting Member

I never had any complaints with the stock mics on the ones I owned back in the day.

4. binrat

binrat W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

It all depends on your voice. For mobile in a noisy environment I found Skythumper mic was good for me.

5. tvrc18

tvrc18 Active Member

I like the RCI mic like comes with the 2950dx. Good reports and still has the up down buttons, easy to re-wire for the 2510.

6. 15minigrass

15minigrass Active Member

Road Devil mic or 575-M6.

7. mr_fx

mr_fx Sr. Member

I run the mic element out of a radio shack super cardioid mic, and I put that into an RCI mic. works great, people love it

8. cbradiomagazine.com

cbradiomagazine.com 2008 - 2014 / Pau Hana

I always ran the stock mic's with the 2510/2600. No problems.

9. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin Staff Member

I also run stock Mic`s on My 2510, and my 2600. The Lincoln I use a Astatic 636l for mobile use.

jeff

10. Robb

Robb Yup

For a mobile application?

OK; I would have to say that the Skythumper mic (~$25/new) has both decent noise-cancelling qualities as well as massive modulation. They are also fairly cheap too. Not a bad idea to go with that choice.

On the other hand, the Turner Road King 56 noise-cancelling mic (~$65) is the best of the best in the noise-cancelling class of mics - IMO. They aren't cheap; but the TX audio is far more natural sounding than the Skythumper.

Never was impressed at all with the Astatic 636 noise-cancelling ("N/C") mics. They don't modulate as well nor do they cancel noise as well as the other two mics mentioned above.

The RF Limited.2018Xtreme echo mic (~$55) is capable of noise-cancelling via a switch. The audio is the best of them all. You don't have to turn on the echo or the talkback (yes; it has talkback too). I like that mic on either a base radio or a mobile; it sounds that well.

Noise-cancelling mics in a mobile is a smart idea, even in a newer, quiet vehicle.

The one rule when using a noise-cancelling mic that one must remember, is to remember to keep the rubber lip guard right on your upper lip at all times when talking. I think that it is funny when guys use a N/C type mic like it was a D-104 mic and try to talk a couple of feet away from the mic. Ya just cannot do that.

11. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

skythumper 65 dx gets my vote for noise canselling
    xtreme 2018 with echeo off and nc on this mike works great too
    another one [if you have or can find one] is a astatic 575
    these are the best mobile mics ive ever used and i gotta box full of mics
    but these 3 arent ever in there

12. Watergate

Ok, I got my radio back from Rogerbird, if it hasn't been said enough to pound it into everybody's head by now, let me just say how great my radio sounds now. And he was great to deal with. Awesome, thank you Rogerbird.

So I bought a ST-65DX from Amazon, borrowed a RK-56 pre-barjan, and an Astatic 636.

I get great reports on the Skythumper. Audio is loud and clear. It does clear up the noise issues I have.

The Road King is a bit quieter, but still sounds good, and does a great job with the background noise.

The Astatic sounds tinny, just a little but enough to be noticed. It doesn't do as well as the other two with the background noise. However this is a post-barjan Astatic.

Thank you all for the responses, I got the ST-65DX based on your recommendations and am quite pleased with it. Especially for the 30 dollars with shipping I paid for it.

Next project will be adding channel up/down buttons to it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

13. TonyV225

TonyV225 Supporting Member

I think the element in my stock 2510 mic is shot maybe I can put the radio shack element in the stock mic??

14. Watergate

Post your results if you try it, I have a stock mike that is shot.

15. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

I have tried a lot of mics on a Lincoln, which is pretty close to your rig. Best sound by far for me is a D104M6. Second place with a tie would be the Ranger SR-158 and Astatic Road Devil. I tried the stock mic (decent sound), stock mic with Heil HC-5 element (not enough drive/too low modulation), RF Limited Turbo Extreme 2018 (seemed to not match up well, sounded kind of tinny, which surprised me since it sounds so good on my other rigs), Astatic 636L, and Turner RK56 which to me just sounded ok. I get a lot of compliments on the D104, and I only run it at about 1 and a half on the setting to keep from picking up road noise in my truck.

RT307

: hr2510, president