• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR 2510 SWR Problem

AK321

Oct 31, 2014
Murray KY.
Hooked up the old 2510 in my truck today, and couldn't get the SWR down below 2 on the radio's meter. Was wondering if there's someone on here that knows their way around one of these radios, and could fix the problem. It's been sitting awhile, and could use an alignment and basically, I just need someone to go through it for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Send it to doc of New York or rogerbird. Both of them will make that radio work like new. You can google the names and they should come up. IN the meantime get an external meter, radio shack has them for 40 dollars and they work good. Good enough for what your needs are anyway.

Have you tried adjusting the whip on the antenna(if it has one), what were you using before?
2.0:1 is not the worst SWR in the world, but we need a bit more info before you ship off the radio.

Jeff

Yes, I tried that and it didn't make much difference at all. Was higher on 26.965 where it was over a 3, whereas it was about a 2 on 27.465. Didn't want to keep keying it up, since I'm unsure of what's going on. I'm running a Wilson 1000 magnet mount. Had it in another vehicle last week, and it was fine.

Seems ass backwards to me.

Yes, I tried that and it didn't make much difference at all. Was higher on 26.965 where it was over a 3, whereas it was about a 2 on 27.465. Didn't want to keep keying it up, since I'm unsure of what's going on. I'm running a Wilson 1000 magnet mount. Had it in another vehicle last week, and it was fine.

Seems ass backwards to me.

Not really. The problem with mobile installs is if you change the vehicle the antenna is on the tuning changes because the grounding is different. In the case of a mag mount you can have two identical looking vehicles but if one is an earlier model with thicker steel on the roof you'll still get a difference. The more efficient the grounding the shorter the antenna needs to be. The less efficient the longer it needs to be. Your current vehicle the grounding is less efficient than the one it was on last week so you need to make the antenna longer.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
I think there's a lot more rust on this vehicle...lol that might be the problem. And of course, it's mounted on the roof.

Hooked up the old 2510 in my truck today, and couldn't get the SWR down below 2 on the radio's meter. Was wondering if there's someone on here that knows their way around one of these radios, and could fix the problem. It's been sitting awhile, and could use an alignment and basically, I just need someone to go through it for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If the mobile has a newly installed antenna...it could be your antenna also.

If you have another radio with a meter...then try another radio.

If you move the frequency of your radio from one end of its frequency range to the other (hopefully more than CB) and the SWR does not change...then it is likely the antenna install.

Good deal. Now you don't have to worry! 1.2-1.4 isn't bad. It could be a bit better but no one on the other end will know the difference. Good deal!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated