• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HT's 2.5 Step for Narrowband Compliance?

thercman

Feb 9, 2012
So as I am trying to find a HT I come across this issue. The only radio that advertises compliance is Wouxun. I have really been leaning toward their KG-UV6X for all the accessories and features. (I really want aircraft freqs however) With that said, none of the major 3 produce a radio capable of 2.5 channel steps. Do you guys believe this will be a simple software fix? So I buy a Yaesu for example all I need to do is upgrade the software and be done with it?

Is this even going to be an important issue? I would hate to purchase something and have it be limited in its use in less than a year...

Most commercial radios have the 2.5khz step because you need in the commercial bands. Most ham radios don't have it because it's not typically used in the ham bands. A lot of the chinese radios have the 2.khz step because they are trying to tailor their product to both markets.

Usually new legal requirements pertain to the SALE of radios. They don't pertain to the OPERATION. I suspect 5KHz step radios will be in widespread usage for at least the next decade or longer.

But it is a good question: Is it possible to transform existing 5 KHz step radios to 2.5 KHz, and if so, how is that done?

If the radio is for use in the amateur service then that narrow banding doesn't apply, it isn't needed. If you want to use that radio for commercial stuff (Part 90), then you should think about that having it comply with the narrow banding requirement. Just depends on what you intend doing with that radio.
- 'Doc

I seriously doubt if 'they' will come looking for you the first time you punch that PTT button. But, it will eventually catch up to you. It's up to you...

The Wouxon KG-UV5D and KG-UV6X models have narrow banding, some fire fighters etc. are buying as a back-up radio. It may be nice to have if you want to listen in I progran some police and fire on mine and leave the transmit frequency blank when programing. Get the cable and software, after I figured out how to use it I would not want to be without it.

Reactions: 1 person
to program via software ?

do you start a new file of freq's, then write to radio(kguv6d)

what are the steps?

On Edit:

GOT IT! NEVER MIND.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.