• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I want Bluetooth in Amateur Radio gear!

Mole,

No problem. There were a group of guys in my area who went to radio shack, bought some bluetooth stuff, hooked it up to their rigs and walked all over talking on the bluetooth earpieces to each other. It was funny cause they were always telling each other where they were now. Kinda like the commercial, " can you hear me now???LOL
I couldn't tell ya how, but they said it didn't cost them much.
PR

Quote Robb "I think they should also integrate more sound controls into HF rig hardware - like the Flexradio/SDR stuff does. Like separate 10 band graphic EQ's for RX AND TX. More radios should have the options for SDR functions - as the Flexradio line does. The Kenwood software for the TS-2000 isn't that bad at all; but it really could be much better. Having the band scopes built into the radio and accessible via USB link should be a standard piece of equipment. Not a cheesy band scope as HRD has; but one that functions like the Flexradios do. I think they ('Flex') have really come up with the beans! "End Quote.

Robb,

The reason there aren't more audio controls available is simple. 99.999% of the people cant tell the difference and 98.999% would only mess up the settings anyway. They can't mess up what they don't have! And they wont miss it anyway if it isn't there. Hell,many (most) hams ( and cb'ers) can't even use a stock mic correctly, or set the audio drive so it doesn't sound like crap!

I think they should also integrate more sound controls into HF rig hardware - like the Flexradio/SDR stuff does. Like separate 10 band graphic EQ's for RX AND TX. More radios should have the options for SDR functions - as the Flexradio line does. The Kenwood software for the TS-2000 isn't that bad at all; but it really could be much better. Having the band scopes built into the radio and accessible via USB link should be a standard piece of equipment. Not a cheesy band scope as HRD has; but one that functions like the Flexradios do. I think they ('Flex') have really come up with the beans!

Robb,

The reason there aren't more audio controls available is simple. 99.999% of the people cant tell the difference and 98.999% would only mess up the settings anyway. They can't mess up what they don't have! And they wont miss it anyway if it isn't there. Hell,many (most) hams ( and cb'ers) can't even use a stock mic correctly, or set the audio drive so it doesn't sound like crap!
It would still be nice to have for those of us who appreciate it. Some of these features are low in cost for the mfr to put in from the git-go. Just so long as the keep these controls intuitive.

I guess I need to clarify

Mole,
I meant without the cables! It seems as though an wireless adapter using a micro-controller could be built and plugged into the CAT port. Anyway, I guess you'll need to generate enough interest that the MFG's will be able to justify costing it in and hoping that they sell. I know from the past that if something is tried and doesn't sell, you'll probably never see it again. Compared to the commercial side of communications, Amateur radio is a pretty small slice. Enough said.

Good luck with what ever you do!

Bluetooth is nice...

Maybe if they incorporated it into standard gear like made a wireless bluetooth desk mic to keep the wires down that would be great!, but I dont like the headset or "earpeice" idea to much for main use.

T23

There used to be a time when ham radio operators everywhere would point at the amateur radio hobby as one that was responsible for helping push the envelope on new communications technologies. In the age of 4G wireless internet, iPhones, Androids, and Skype, I'm not so sure ham radio will ever be viewed again as something that has the capability of producing "ground breaking" communication technology. The R&D dollars just aren't being pumped into the hobby. However, I do think that the Amateur Radio community should do a better job of remembering its experimental technology roots and start to demand the integration of current, available technology into the products of our market space. Toward that end, I want more Bluetooth!

A few companies (Yaesu, in particular) have started integrating Bluetooth for specific functions, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. For the Yaesu VX-8 and FTM-350 products, you can get an optional Bluetooth board that lets you use a Bluetooth headset, which is a great start. I think all new handheld, mobile, and base Amateur gear should make plans to incorporate the same functionality. In fact, some States are starting to enforce laws that make it an illegal distraction to even talk on radios with hand mics while driving. I can see a time when more and more States make it a requirement to use some sort of headset while driving even for ham radio. These laws may force manufactures to finally add bluetooth chipsets as a standard feature in their radios.

Why don't we have any HF gear with Bluetooth capability? Is too much to expect that an operator at his home station might want less wires all over the desk instead of more? But I don't just want Bluetooth implemented for headsets. I want to be able to add Bluetooth wireless speakers, Bluetooth mics, and I want a Bluetooth serial connection to my PC for remote control and programming. The only wires that I should be required to attach to any of my rigs at home should be for the power and feed line (and maybe a keying line for the linear amp).

This year, the Bluetooth v4.0 spec was introduced which now gives the ability to send high speed data over longer distances with relatively low energy consumption. One way this could be implemented in ham radio gear is in lieu of a traditional sound card interface. Imagine being able to stream audio between your PC and rig over Bluetooth without wires. It's not a fantasy; it could happen.

Personally, I don't believe many of these or other ideas will be implemented in amateur radio gear any time soon. Realistically, since 2010 is almost over and we still see very few products that have even given us the ubiquitous USB port, I doubt the manufacturers even have the capability to expand their thinking into the Bluetooth possibilities. In the true, experimental spirit of Amateur Radio, I think it will take some enterprising folks to figure out how to make little Bluetooth interface add-ons that work with the existing gear until they can eventually be incorporated natively into the equipment. Of course, the software developers will have to get on board, too. For example, the folks that code Digital Master / Ham Radio Deluxe would need to give us the option to select "Bluetooth Device" as the Soundcard interface to our rig. How cool would that be!

As I look at the massive mess of wires on my radio desk, I have to believe there is a better way and I firmly believe that Bluetooth is a viable option. I think we may see more Bluetooth options in mobile gear soon, but we have to continue to push the use-cases. What about you? What technologies do you see in your every day life that should find their way into Amateur Radio gear?

I agree, there should be more use of Bluetooth. Ham Radio went from bleeding to trailing edge technology. There should be Bluetooth control of HT transceivers such that a smartphone can contain a database of repeaters wherein the frequency etc can be transferred from a smartphone to a Handheld Transceiver.

There is a good article in this month's QST on building a Bluetooth interface for Amateur gear. Not all that expensive to do either. The hands free headset, (Blue Parrot) is probably the most expensive part. That is the brand the author used. I have one for my cellphone in an 18 wheeler and it works quite well. The interface will work with any Bluetooth headset. I'm seriously thinking about rounding up the parts and building an interface for my mobile setup.
trucker

Most hams have a hard time adjusting to sdr equipment as it is ..it's not a radio...it's a computer with finals .

Hams are ...or at least was ...do it yourself kind of people.

Two most popular methods is a simple computer interface for mic and receive and blue tooth to computer and a catching trend is the good old arduino with blue tooth adapter .

I myself "when being lazy" just use hrd " ham radio deluxe" and turtle beach "gaming headphone /mic" and windows 8.1 nifty remote control via a laptop in living room to change bands /modes / ect.

Of course the easiest would be a simple wireless blue tooth adapter for a cell phone and simple connect af/rx to your blue tooth headphones/mic of choice. But of course would require you still manually change the band/mode/etc.

As far as the radios on the market with blue tooth are imho ...way over priced ...but to each their own.

We are hams ....be creative.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated