• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM IC-7000 REVIEW

Well I broke down and ordered one yesterday. I got a supper deal on a used one for $800, with 7 months of warranty left. I can't wait for the UPS man to bring my candy. I was going to get an 857D but the Icom just has too many features which I will use, and I would be kicking myself in the rear for a long time if I didn't get it.

Now I just have to endure the but kicking from the XYL.:eek:

Have the newer ones have the mike problem corrected by Icom?

Well I broke down and ordered one yesterday. I got a supper deal on a used one for $800, with 7 months of warranty left. I can't wait for the UPS man to bring my candy. I was going to get an 857D but the Icom just has too many features which I will use, and I would be kicking myself in the rear for a long time if I didn't get it.

Now I just have to endure the but kicking from the XYL.:eek:

Have the newer ones have the mike problem corrected by Icom?

From what I've heard, the mics are the same. This is NOT based on first hand experience, though.

Happy_Hamer has been a little busy and hasn't been able to really finish his review of the rig. Why don't you pick it up and tell us what you think when you get it?

I like the built in recorder, When I can not quite understand an operator's call I just record him and then play it back till I figure it out.

Also like the message recorder for transmitting. When calling CQ CQ CQ 10 meters and my call a bunch of times I just have to push a button and it transmits what I recorded. Saves me having to constantly say it.

This is great to listen to your self and adjust the transmit filters for best sound before you save the message.

Did I ever say I love my 7K?

AP

Well, I am back for some more follow up.

First answer is no, you cannot hook up a keyboard which seems it should have been a no brainer, it would be great to actually send RTTY as well, Of course not while driving so maybe that was the reasoning? :tongue:

One of my friends just bought a brand new IC-7000 on Friday and there has yet to be any change to the microphone. I do not think that ICOM may consider this an issue. I think I will try to hook up an aftermarket mic such as an Astatic just for kicks and giggles.

I have been using the radio out of band quite a bit lately for the Marine MARS training with great results. So far I have not seen any loss of features with the mod. My Yaesu 857D no longer had the automatic repeater shift once it was MARS modified. This seems like a small feature but to me it is very cool to keep especially when traveling. Once a frequency pair is found a simple tone scan is done and your set.

I never did the TV mod because of the recent change to digital TV and figured it is kinda useless.

Now for those who wish to mount it using the remote kit one little tid bit I found reading on the internet.

I hooked up the remote cable to the face unit and the radio itself. There is a screw that is included to better secure the cable and I thought to myself, "self, it clicks into place why waste my time with that little screw because I can remove it quicker if I wanted to without it" :p Stand by for the Homer Simpson moment

WELL, like I said at the beginning of this review, I am not the most technical but I would report my findings. I will leave the "why it does what it does" to the more techie people here.

Every time I keyed up and started talking I would get squiggly lines on the radio display, which in turn, would magnify itself in the monitor of the Jeep. So after installing several toroids from radio shack and not curing the problem, I decided to look to google. Apparently, the screw also provides a better ground for the remote :blushing::blush: so I installed the little tiny screw, guess what?, No more squiggly lines. I could give my explanation as to why, I am sure I am wrong so techies jump in here, I just know it made a difference and works. (y)

I am also using an LDG Auto Tuner which I will do a review on later but I want to add this to the review of the radio. The tuner I bought from W4RT had the battery pack installed for use with my Yaesu. When using the included ICOM cable you do not need an external, or in this case, internal power source. While I was connecting the cable to the radio I noticed a few little sparks, obviously from the batteries that were installed in the tuner. Next thing I find, the radio will not tune using the tuner button on the radio. My buddy has an IC-7000 as well and he has the same set up with no problem, so we hooked my cable to his in case my cable was bad, but it worked fine on his. The only difference between his tuner and mine was the internal batteries. So I removed the batteries and it did not work on my radio but did on his, I sent the 7000 back and was sent a new radio, apparently the little sparks shorted something out. SO, do not use the internal batteries on tuner with the IC-7000. I use the internal batteries on that tuner when using it with the FT-817ND so it is no issue because the radio will not provide power.

More to come,,,,,,,

...I am also using an LDG Auto Tuner... I noticed a few little sparks,... the radio will not tune using the tuner button on the radio...

a few little sparks :oops::oops:

why doesn't ICOM doesn't put out this info in BIG letters in the manual?

a LOT of people that have tried to use outboard tuners (that work fine on a 706) on the 7k and fried the rig.

the pin out IS DIFFERENT and power is on different pins . the 7k tuner connection will draw too much current and... "a few little sparks" :w00t:

the 7k is a great rig, just be careful what you plug into the tuner port

Well I finally got some time to play with my radio today. This afternoon I strung up a 20meter folded dipole about 60 between two spruces. The band was closing this evening as I was trying to make a contact or two and got two returns to my CQ but the band closed up just as they were replying and we couldn't complete a QSO.
I don't have much to compare it to but the audio is very loud and crisp.

It also seems to receive very well, but again, I have nothing to compare it to.

I very much like the big clean display, which is much better than the 857D and 706mkIIG in my opinion.

I like the many useful functions which I have just barely started understanding.

I do NOT like the menu layout. I have previously had experience only with Yaesu radios and their menus are very intuitive with all functions labeled in alphabetical order starting with 1 through ???. The Icom does not seem to have any logic to the menu grouping system and I will simply have to memorize the whole goofy cluster setup. Are all Icoms setup this way?

The manual seems to be fairly strait forward but it really needs an index.

So far I love my new radio and can't wait for more time to play with it some more.

A tidbit of advice for anyone using an IC-7000 and want to use an external monitor.

Search your local Craigslist/garage sales/thrift stores/etc... for one of those older portable DVD players.

Remember -- you do NOT need the resolution of a hi-def screen!! I picked up an 8" portable DVD player off of my local Craigslist for $15. The DVD mechanics were entirely shot. But, it did have the power adapter and video input.

Search around!! Just be absolutely sure that you have the power adapter for the player and more importantly -- VIDEO IN!

--Alex / KF4YOR

I have been using my 7k for a month or so now and had the mic mod cone by Bob. As far as the comment made about FM over deviated I believe was said. You have to remember to set your TBW to 15khz and less than 25% mic level. The features of this radio IMO are far superior to the 897D and the 706MKIIG which I have used both. Audio with the mic mod is loud, crisp and very natural sounding as long as you set the mic levels and TBW. I would love to get another and jusst dedicate it to UHF/VHF SSB and satellites.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.