• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

If I ran the FCC

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
Dear president, please make me chairman of the FCC.

I feel I am qualified due to my advanced knowledge of telcom and rf, from 8 years of working as a climber and technician in the industry, but also my advanced knowledge of government bureaucracy.

I have a plan to bring order to the airwaves. Deregulation, enforcement and jurisdiction.

For my first reform, deregulation

Business, industry, recreational and public safety all suffer from one thing, a general lack of available, and affordable bandwidth.

Hunters using VHF marine channels assigned to commercial and non commercial traffic in inland areas on a secondary basis. Before GMRS and MURS this was really the only readily accessible option for hunters, besides cumbersome, short ranged citizens band handhelds. Are hunters using these channels on a secondary basis a threat to maritime safety, to commerce or commercial business? Is this highly illegal under the edicts of a federal bureaucracy, yes, and they will fine your ass!
As new chairman these channels will be available to non commercial and small commercial business on a secondary basis in inland areas.
But before that, the rule on ship to shore communication needs abolished immediately, god forbid my boat breaks down and I cannot call my wife for help.

Tens of thousands of businesses, mostly itinerant use frequencies for which they have no license. Radio shops are all too quick to sell a radios without informing the business of the technicalities of licensing. This has been common practice for years, so much that certain frequencies not allocated to public safety or government have been given names, blue dot, red dot, yellow dot, dot 1, etc. Most businesses are entirely unaware they could be in serious trouble with the FCC for simply using their new, 'walky talkies'.
Once again, I propose these frequencies be allowed unlicensed commercial use on a secondary basis to licensed users who have "bought" the frequency.

Similar policies should be implemented for other services as well as low power microbroadcasters, citizens band, etc.

Citizens band should too be made a viable alternative for small business and reliable private communications. Increase from 4watts to 40watts AM, even more on SSB, and CTCSS calling, not tone squelch but calling or paging should be implemented.

For my next reform, enforcement

The other thing I as chairman would do is reform FCC enforcement.
The new motto of the FCC should be, "zero tolerance for wilful, malicious or careless interference". Part of this plan would be to eliminate many FCC enforcement positions to be replaced with volunteers, who in some cases would receive a monetary reward for locating sources of deliberate or careless interference. Malicious, as defined as intentional, to cause harm or to deliberately disrupt lawful communications on a frequency one is not licensed or authorized to use.
Careless, as defined as unintentional, to accidental cause cause harm or disrupt lawful communications on a frequency one is not licensed or authorized to use, either through ignorance or carelessness.

Amateur Radio, a dying radio service used primarily by aging old men to talk about the weather and their medical problems, should be re-evaluated for its usefulness to society. The days of innovation by amateur operators are all but gone, their contributions to innovation for the benefit of the country are almost nil. Their only worth seems to be disaster response, and weather monitoring programs. As fewer and fewer people of the younger generations become licensed amateurs, this services demise seems inevitable unless changes are made. This is all a generalization and there are exceptions to the rule, such as myself, but without traffic, and with minimal benefit to populace, amateur frequencies are doomed to be slowly taken away and given to more productive uses, rather than to become dead air, beacons, and SSTV still images of some dudes fat ugly wife in a bikini.

I propose that volunteer organizations be created, private but operating under the authority of the FCC, to help enforce FCC regulations pertaining to any malicious or careless interference in the spectrum. The primary goal of these volunteers should be to document, record and locate the source of such transmissions and to report the location to the nearest FCC field office for further enforcement. Such actions were once common practice for many amateur operators although in the past the motivations have primarily been to protect their own allocated bandwidth. As such there will be a cash reward for information leading to the conviction of the operator of a station which causes intentional and careless interference, especially when this interferes with public safety or licensed commercial users.
A secondary function of these volunteer organizations is to inform the public, to advise and help coordinate frequencies, to assist individuals and companies in finding an adequate communications system. To raise public awareness of good operating practices and standards, and of the possible consequences, including loss of life and property, of irresponsible and malicious interference.

The penalties for such shall be increased. For malicious interference, in addition to fines greatly exceeding the amount an individual could ever possibly pay in their lifetime, one shall be sexually violated by either an equine animal, eg, a horse, or a donkey, or a cross between therof.

The penalties for careless interference shall be determined based on the nature of the offense, ranging from a letter of warning to a $1000 fine and forfeiture of equipment.

For my third reform, Jurisdiction

That is is my legal opinion, that the scope of jurisdiction of the FCC is not only an unnecessary drain on the commissions resources, but may also very well be illegal under the Constitution and the laws of interstate commerce.
The jurisdiction of enforcement should only pertain to transmissions which cross state lines, as such must be detectable across state lines for the commission to have jurisdiction over such transmissions.
All other enforcement actions are up to the states themselves under the powers given under the 10th amendment of the constitution.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."....

And thats how I would run the FCC. Just 2 more years of a Manchurian candidate and perhaps the backlash will finally bring about, some change.

RAND PAUL 2012!

Well, that was interesting.

Other than the general characterization of the Amateur Service (I don't see it quite as dire), I think you're close to spot on. 27 MHz CB is a useless waste for any sort of legal use so it should be re-evaluated. Marine radios are more common out here than CBs as they're regarded as a "quiet CB" and a lot of people use those frequencies for business and personal communications more so than unlicensed Part 90 radios.

And while we're discussing interference, such attention needs to be extended to the proliferation of RF pollution generated by all manner of devices. Part 15 rules should be strictly enforced. We are quickly headed for the day when licensed RF systems will be next to useless from all of the RF pollution that exists.

But your first order of business will be to introduce RF engineering concepts back into an agency that is now overrun with attorneys. Good luck.

LOL......They do need to be seriously reformed. They have totally gotten away from the principals that they where founded on and are more a revenue generating arm of the government.

It is kind of like the letter of the law versus the spirit of the law.

Common sense is not at all common and definitely not so when Government has a hand in anything.

Outside of commercial broadcasting like TV and Broadcast radio and state and federal agencies and military I do not think they should be able to sell band's or chunks of a band to anyone. License well I would change that to a certificate program so it could not be easily revoked and could not be a money maker. You can either be trusted to operate in a lawful and useful manner in all area's or none. I think the current program that breaks up bands by license class is stupid. You are either trust worthy or you are not.

I think the power limit of 4 watts is stupid on 11meters or CB and the quality of your signal not it's strength of output or input is of more importance and the nature of your activity. Obviously I do not want unregulated use of massive amps on CB or 11 meters but I would like wise prefer to not see people feel they need to break the law due to insanely stupid low power level rules either.

It is clear that just like the war on "Drugs" we are not winning the far on trashy rf polluting ignorant operators no matter if they have a license or not! Just like it is stupid to fight the war on drugs on the supply side like wise the current way of operating is not getting the job done in the rf war either!

"zero tolerance for wilful, malicious or careless interference"

that'll cost billions of dollars ...... mostly just to make 700,000 hams happy while 313 million people foot the bill . but that makes perfect goverment spending sense (y)

"Amateur Radio, a dying radio service used primarily by aging old men to talk about the weather and their medical problems, should be re-evaluated for its usefulness to society. The days of innovation by amateur operators are all but gone, their contributions to innovation for the benefit of the country are almost nil. Their only worth seems to be disaster response, and weather monitoring programs. As fewer and fewer people of the younger generations become licensed amateurs, this services demise seems inevitable unless changes are made. This is all a generalization and there are exceptions to the rule, such as myself, but without traffic, and with minimal benefit to populace, amateur frequencies are doomed to be slowly taken away and given to more productive uses, rather than to become dead air, beacons, and SSTV still images of some dudes fat ugly wife in a bikini."

i think being nicer to newbies and folks who stray onto their frequencies would be a lot more effective in increasing the pork butt headcount and attract more folks to ham hobby .

"27 MHz CB is a useless waste for any sort of legal use so it should be re-evaluated"

yea ..... that'll go over real well LMBFAO

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
If i ran the FCC i'd commit suicide, because I'd realise what a shit job i'd made of the past 50 years, but like most civil servants, they ain't even got a clue just how incompetent they really are.

Lol.... This did give me a good laugh. Defiantly a CBers viewpoint. Too funny.

He has no idea what's really going on in amateur today but thinks CB is some viable communication alternative? Like I said... Too funny.

I would create a new band called the "GLR" (Good Long Rants) and should be tied up by whoever has the power to do so and any stiff collard SOB who wants to stick his nose in (primarily california based assholes) who think they're the end all answer to morality would be really pissed off all the time if they chose to listen in.

If I ran the FCC I would make all the field agent be hot looking naked females. this would make people want to have regular inspections and would make people have an AWESOME opinion on the FCC

Reactions: 5 people
If I ran the FCC I would make all the field agent be hot looking naked females. this would make people want to have regular inspections and would make people have an AWESOME opinion on the FCC

And if they passed out some super ganja cigarettes would put it over the top.

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?