• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Inbuilt swr meter on 2970n series

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
Just quick one if I may.
I have two swr meters, one gives me higher values for example ch1 2.5 and ch40 3.5 whereas the other swr meter gives me lower figures, ch1 1.5 ch40 2.0

I don't know which one to believe in, however would i be correct in thinking if I press the swr button on the radio and check on AM via the Ranger display not showing any 'bars' im good to assume that the swr meter giving me the lowest figures is the one working correctly?

I've learned that inbuilt swr meters dont work, but if the swr is high surely it would and should give me a reading on the radios display?

Get a tuner with a SWR meter. If you don't like what you see, tune it !

MFJ-945E.jpg

Reactions: CB590
I tell customers not to use a radio's built-in SWR meter to tune an antenna. It's just not built for accuracy. None of them are that I have seen.

But I tell the truck drivers to check the SWR before heading out for the day. Whatever reading you got last time should be the reading you get this time. You don't need accuracy to check for a damaged antenna/feedline/connector.

Just a consistent error from day to day. If the reading changes, don't transmit more than you need to until a real meter gets put in line, and the problem fixed.

I wasnt using the inbuilt swr meter to tune it, was merely wanting to know if swr was in res zone would the inbuilt swr meter show me shit? Not sure if I'm expecting much, but thought at least the inbuilt one would show me a bar or two or three if swr was high?

Only way I know to tell is with a "SWR Load". A 100-ohm (2-to-1 SWR) or 150-ohm (3-to-1) 5-Watt carbon-film resistor inside a PL259. Never hurts to check one of these with a proper antenna analyzer first, but if the radio's internal meter doesn't say something near 3-to-1 with a 150-ohm resistor for its load, that's a hint.

This is what we use to set the SWR warning light in a radio that has that feature.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.