• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Indoor antenna

Need Some advice how to get or built a good indoor antenna.
If you don't want to build one there's an eBay seller who makes and sells wire dipoles. He make individual one's for every hf band. Problem being for indoor use there quite long. MFJ makes an indoor/ balcony antenna that covers a few bands (11 meters being one). I don't know the handling capabilities nor did I search for reviews. 73. Ps I purchased three pieces of equipment from MFJ and had an issue with one. Two outa there ain't bad (when it comes to skirts) but they do have a 30 day no questions asked return policy (I think). Good luck.

If you don't want to build one there's an eBay seller who makes and sells wire dipoles. He make individual one's for every hf band. Problem being for indoor use there quite long. MFJ makes an indoor/ balcony antenna that covers a few bands (11 meters being one). I don't know the handling capabilities nor did I search for reviews. 73. Ps I purchased three pieces of equipment from MFJ and had an issue with one. Two outa there ain't bad (when it comes to skirts) but they do have a 30 day no questions asked return policy (I think). Good luck.
I have a 11 meter dipole already just don't think its working probably do not hear anyone for a long time.

Tram makes a no ground antenna that works fairly well inside. it is only about 39 inches in length and it will get out local about 5 to 6 miles when used inside. my brother-in-law used one in his apartment for a few years and it worked better on skip. he made a small wood stand and placed it by a window and like I said it worked good at about 5 miles away. you can find them for about 40.00 shipped . he would put it out on his porch and he could talk local about 10 miles. it is about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. here is the link to the antenna. it is a 1499 and the pic is on the right side of the page. you can see if the sellers here have one. I have sold these to guys with a camper also and they would lay it down while traveling then raise it when they parked at a camp site.

http://trambrowning.com/page-15.pdf

Last edited:
Your indoor dipole is vertical or horizontal? When local stations transmit vertical and you listen horizontal it is about 30dB loss of rx signal.
Mike

Reactions: 2RT307
can you describe the prospective location for this antenna?
like, attic, living room, bathroom, etc...

and maybe give us a bit of the lay of the land, as in 8 foot ceilings, 10x15 foot room, that sort of thing.

this will help us explore your options.
LC

Reactions: 2RT307
I think I made the mistake of buying a Tram 1499.
It picks up a signal good, but it don't send more then a mile.

I mounted it outside on the top of my garage, about 40' up.
I used 100' of Rg8u. Got a pretty good antenna match 1.5.
I have a old Pearce-Simpson Jaguar 40B. It shows 3.5 watts
dead key on meter but no swing at all when I try to modulate.
I tried to use my little mobile unit that works fine in my truck, same problem, no modulation past 1 mile. I ordered a small RM KL203P 100/200w Linear Amplifier at the same time I ordered the Tram but it hasn't come in yet. I hope that will help. I seen people on you tube using a mobile 102" whip as a base antenna. I'm thinking that might work for me. I have a metal roof on the garage and I could use it for a ground plane for the whip.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

I think I made the mistake of buying a Tram 1499.
It picks up a signal good, but it don't send more then a mile.

I mounted it outside on the top of my garage, about 40' up.
I used 100' of Rg8u. Got a pretty good antenna match 1.5.
I have a old Pearce-Simpson Jaguar 40B. It shows 3.5 watts
dead key on meter but no swing at all when I try to modulate.
I tried to use my little mobile unit that works fine in my truck, same problem, no modulation past 1 mile. I ordered a small RM KL203P 100/200w Linear Amplifier at the same time I ordered the Tram but it hasn't come in yet. I hope that will help. I seen people on you tube using a mobile 102" whip as a base antenna. I'm thinking that might work for me. I have a metal roof on the garage and I could use it for a ground plane for the whip.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
I'm not sure if the antenna has anything to do with you're low modulation problem, but the 1499 is and was a bad choice. Get yourself an a 99 or IMAX 2000. @ 40' you should be golden. Before you make any further purchases ask first. The people on this site are kowlagable and have never failed me when getting the correct answers to my questions. Good luck. 73

You might also start a new thread with what ever problem or question you have. When you highjack a current thread not many people will see your post because it's buried in a thread under a different topic.

Thanks for the advise guys.
I couldn't figure out how to start a new thread.
I was thinking about putting up an IMAX or a 99
but I didn't know if they would work without the ground plan kit.
And I think my neighbors will give me a hard time if I have to use
a bigger antenna with the ground plane kit. But I guess your right
if I am going to get back into the cb world. My neighbors are going to have to get use to a big antenna.
Thanks again !! 73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.