• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Initial Ham Setup

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
After much consideration, I've decided to go with:

Yaesu FT-450D
Mega Watt S-350-12 power supply

And a couple of dipoles (6M &10M) to get me “on the air” as a Tech.
Once I pass my General, I’ll look for a good multi-band.

I know the current solar cycle is in the dumpster, but I’m excited anyway. After all, there are worse things in life than limited radio contacts.

A happy and meaningful Memorial Day to you all!

Jim

I'm glad you have narrowed it down. I am not looking forward to sifting for days on end to decide what I will get.

I finally decided after carefully reading the instruction manuals for all the radios I was looking at. In the end, the 450D felt like the best fit for me. And my budget. LOL.

When you get your general get this antenna along with the 1:1 choke for the feed line.
I run the IC-746 as my primary base and use the 50 amp Megawatt power supply. I have a bunch of radios and antennas for mobile but nothing in the 2 meter band at all.
If you don't like the antenna you will not have wasted a ton of money and you can take the antenna down and take it with you on vacation.
I have made a bunch of contacts with it with no linears.

Yaesu FT-450D

I know the current solar cycle is in the dumpster, but I’m excited anyway. After all, there are worse things in life than limited radio contacts.

Jim
Good choices!

At the moment, 10 and 6 has been opening.

Not sure if you have your Tech license yet, if not as long as you're in study mode, get your General the same day. You can do it!

Good luck!

Reactions: Sonar
Good choices!

At the moment, 10 and 6 has been opening.

Not sure if you have your Tech license yet, if not as long as you're in study mode, get your General the same day. You can do it!

Good luck!

That's good news!
Still studying for both. Been a LONG time since I've had to take any kind of test LOL.

Yaesu FT-450D

Jim

The 450D is a good choice. Don't be discouraged by the solar cycle, just get on the air and call CQ.

That's good news!
Still studying for both. Been a LONG time since I've had to take any kind of test LOL.
I don't know how you are studying, but the flash cards on hamstudy.org have been a huge help for me. I have gone from 35% on the tech tests to 80%+ on the general in about 8 hours of studying. I didn't think I could pass the general after trying the tech, but it is easier than it seems. Best of luck

Last edited:
Reactions: CB590 and Sonar
I don't know how you are studying, but the flash cards on hamstudy.org have been a huge help for me. I have gone from 35% on the tech tests to 80%+ on the general in about 8 hours of studying. I didn't think I could pass the general after trying the tech, but it is easier than it seems. Best of luck

Am using "The No-Nonsense Technician Class Study Guide". Will check out the cards at hamstudy.org. Thanks!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.