• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IRF520 vs IRF523

carioux2008

Sep 14, 2016
A coworker of mine has a Cobra 29LX with the IRF520 MOSFET modification. Well, it seems to have stopped working and I was wondering if I could use the IRF523 mosfet in its place (and retune of course). The biggest difference I see is that the breakdown voltage is lower (80v vs 100v) and the drain current is slightly lower. I woudl suspect that the drain current will lower the overall output of the radio, but honestly, i dont really care about that. just want to get him running again.

What effects will the 523 have over the 520 thats in there already?

The IRF520,521,522 and 523 all share the same Fairchild data sheet. Couldn't find the original one from International Rectifier. Only difference I can see is with the voltage and current rating. 520 is listed as 100 Volts and 8 Amps. The 523 shows 60 Volts and 7 Amps. Don't think that will be important in a 12-Volt radio.

The all-important switching speed doesn't appear to be different, so I'd guess that it will work. Just don't know how to predict how well it will work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?