• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is the RCI 2970N4 suitable for driving an amp?

Dart

Oct 18, 2012
I have a new 2970N4 (built in 4 pill) and was considering trying to use it to drive a 12-pill in the mobile. I would like to use the radio as a nice driver, putting out an easy 250 watts PEP.

Has anyone ever used this radio, or one like it to drive a bigger amp? Any downfalls to doing so?

I'm curious if there are any drawbacks like reflect for using this style of radio as a driver also?

There shouldn't be any real drawbacks. As long as you can dial in the proper deadkey and/or pep for the amp you are driving, you should be good. What amp are you thinking?

Reactions: Dart
Thanks 338.

I am going to get my 2970N4 tuned up with a mild tune. I would like to keep the radio clean and splatter free.

I will be driving it into my Real Deal 12-pill, which is an older amp that was built in Ohio. It's been so long since I've been in the hobby, I would think maybe a 50 watt dead key into the amp and let it swing a couple hundred.

Thanks 338.

I am going to get my 2970N4 tuned up with a mild tune. I would like to keep the radio clean and splatter free.
Those terms are a contradiction. 250 watts is not shabby to start with. Be sure to ask for a certified output test on the harmonics before and after. If they don't understand what you are asking DO NOT send your radio to them.
But that's my honest opinion.

Reactions: hotrod
Those terms are a contradiction. 250 watts is not shabby to start with. Be sure to ask for a certified output test on the harmonics before and after. If they don't understand what you are asking DO NOT send your radio to them.
But that's my honest opinion.
I'm curious as to what this is exactly? Machine printouts, calibration certificate, and certificate of technician certification/qualification?

I was thinking of something similar but instead using a Stryker SR-89MC to drive a TS 667. Should do from 4-8 watts DK to 30+ swing. Also thought of doing my Stryker 655 which does about 10w swinging to 60 whistle... Would I damage the 667 using these radios?

I was thinking of something similar but instead using a Stryker SR-89MC to drive a TS 667. Should do from 4-8 watts DK to 30+ swing. Also thought of doing my Stryker 655 which does about 10w swinging to 60 whistle... Would I damage the 667 using these radios?

That is way too much power for a 667. You don't need the driver in the 667, so a 500 would be a better match

Reactions: Ranch55
I'm curious as to what this is exactly? Machine printouts, calibration certificate, and certificate of technician certification/qualification?
I am referring to testing the output of the radio with a spectrum analyzer for harmonics before and after the tune. A lot of the people that claim to be "Tuners" just spread out coils that suppress harmonics and ruin it's effectiveness. Yes it will put out more power indicated on a watt meter but if it's harmonics it does you no good at all.

It would be impressive if they had an equipment list of what was calibrated, when, and how often.
I wonder if they would supply you with a copy of the FCC issued license issued to repair stations

Last edited:
Reactions: Robb
I am referring to testing the output of the radio with a spectrum analyzer for harmonics before and after the tune. A lot of the people that claim to be "Tuners" just spread out coils that suppress harmonics and ruin it's effectiveness. Yes it will put out more power indicated on a watt meter but if it's harmonics it does you no good at all.
I understand that, I was just interested in the "certified" part. Do you just mean the tech certifies that it is good, or the test methods and results are certified by a governing body. Or maybe you just meant verify? I just have never seen anyone ever post certification papers for their radio before.

I understand that, I was just interested in the "certified" part. Do you just mean the tech certifies that it is good, or the test methods and results are certified by a governing body. Or maybe you just meant verify? I just have never seen anyone ever post certification papers for their radio before.
It requires that the facility have a license, and the facility has to meet certain criteria to get it. Equipment for a "Certifiable" result requires a monitored calibration schedule by a watch dog agency. One shop I managed had both the FCC and the FAA in there all of the time. My shop had two certificates, one FAA and one FCC.

I have a new 2970N4 (built in 4 pill) and was considering trying to use it to drive a 12-pill in the mobile. I would like to use the radio as a nice driver, putting out an easy 250 watts PEP.

Has anyone ever used this radio, or one like it to drive a bigger amp? Any downfalls to doing so?

That's a lot of drive, an N2 would be plenty. I hope the amp is a nice clean class AB and I hope you can properly feed a 12 pill and that radio. Probably need at least 250 amps or more. That's a big mobile.

You would be better off starting a new thread then highjacking this current thread. That said a Texas Star 667 is a low drive amp, 1-2 watt dead key input max. Some even run as low as .75 watts dead key input. If you dead key 4-8 watts into it you will be smelling smoke in a very short time. Even a Texas Star 500v (no driver) does not need that much input carrier.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.