• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is the RCI 2970N4 suitable for driving an amp?

Texas Star 667 is a low drive amp, 1-2 watt dead key input max. Some even run as low as .75 watts dead key input.
They do have High Drive units too. Get one of those and you most probably will not blow it up. You are setting your self up for a smoke fest. JMHO

I have a new 2970N4 (built in 4 pill) and was considering trying to use it to drive a 12-pill in the mobile. I would like to use the radio as a nice driver, putting out an easy 250 watts PEP.

Has anyone ever used this radio, or one like it to drive a bigger amp? Any downfalls to doing so?
It'll do fine with a class C amp as long as the amp is a straight 12 pill with no driver.

Consider this, if 250 watts isn't good enough maybe you should invest or maximize your antenna?

A near perfect antenna system with ideal height over good soil or saltwater with 100 watts will do a better job than big power.

Reactions: Tallman and Sonar
They do have High Drive units too. Get one of those and you most probably will not blow it up. You are setting your self up for a smoke fest. JMHO

I will have to look into this, I know Texas Star went to a mosfet driver in the 667 instead of a 2290. I am just not seeing a Texas Star 667 as ever being a High Drive unless they swamp the hell out of the input stage. I bet the DEI finals love that.

I wonder why they call it variable? That model used to be referred to as staged power levels. I really wonder if H & Y just typed High Drive on there so it sells better? The Texas Star web site makes no claim of being an HD amplifier.

Well I do see one difference in the H&Y ad. They are still listing their TS 667's as having 1 2290 and 4 2879's. Not that it makes it a high drive amp. Like you said 9C1Driver, they would have to attenuate the crap out of the input in order to make it even remotely a high drive amp. JMHO's. Here is a zoomed photo of the ad showing the transistors they are saying are being used. Yes I know he 2879's are still being used. Which ones IDK. But it's the 2SC2290 that throws me as I've heard many say the new 667's come with 2 mosfet drivers being IRF520's. See pic below.
Also I posted the info directly from Texas Star's website as to the lastest amps being built. Don't know how old that H&Y as is, or if they might still have some amps with the 2290 driver. Confusing to say the least.
The only difference I saw between the 2 amps is one has the variable power knob (667v) and one doesn't (667). But the it does appear the new ones have 2 IRF520's being used as the driver stage. Hope this clears the air a bit. Have a good one to All.
73 and God Bless

Attachments

• IMG_5694.PNG
    IMG_5694.PNG
    832.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5695.PNG
    IMG_5695.PNG
    191.2 KB · Views: 7
That's a lot of drive, an N2 would be plenty. I hope the amp is a nice clean class AB and I hope you can properly feed a 12 pill and that radio. Probably need at least 250 amps or more. That's a big mobile.
i agree the 2970n4 by itself would/should be more than enough at 400 watts!

I have a new 2970N4 (built in 4 pill) and was considering trying to use it to drive a 12-pill in the mobile. I would like to use the radio as a nice driver, putting out an easy 250 watts PEP.

Has anyone ever used this radio, or one like it to drive a bigger amp? Any downfalls to doing so?

I have changed out the factory blacked out transistors (DEI's) over to Toshiba 2SC2879 transistors in a RCI-2970N4..... Max output power increased about 75 watts or so. Max output PEP is about 480 watts or so and will dead key on AM at about 325 watts. Minimum power dead key on AM is around 40 watts.
So, I would say that you could drive the amp with this radio. I would recommend turning down the radio power output to about 25% to 50%. This will help keep the heat down in the radio.

I have changed out the factory blacked out transistors (DEI's) over to Toshiba 2SC2879 transistors in a RCI-2970N4.....

I wondered if RCI was using Toshiba's in the N4s & C4s... evidently not. Bummer that they are charging so much for that DEI crap.

Well I do see one difference in the H&Y ad. They are still listing their TS 667's as having 1 2290 and 4 2879's. Not that it makes it a high drive amp. Like you said 9C1Driver, they would have to attenuate the crap out of the input in order to make it even remotely a high drive amp. JMHO's. Here is a zoomed photo of the ad showing the transistors they are saying are being used. Yes I know he 2879's are still being used. Which ones IDK. But it's the 2SC2290 that throws me as I've heard many say the new 667's come with 2 mosfet drivers being IRF520's. See pic below.
Also I posted the info directly from Texas Star's website as to the lastest amps being built. Don't know how old that H&Y as is, or if they might still have some amps with the 2290 driver. Confusing to say the least.
The only difference I saw between the 2 amps is one has the variable power knob (667v) and one doesn't (667). But the it does appear the new ones have 2 IRF520's being used as the driver stage. Hope this clears the air a bit. Have a good one to All.
73 and God Bless
copy write on bottom of hy add is 2012

Reactions: 222DBFL
I wondered if RCI was using Toshiba's in the N4s & C4s... evidently not. Bummer that they are charging so much for that DEI crap.

No, they are sure not using Toshiba's. Cost too much for them, and supply is limited.
They were blacked out, but Ranger support confirmed to me that they are definitely DEI's....

Drive the amp low. 1/3 of the amps max output will not lower your signal on the other end. The amp will stay happy, and in turn you'll be to. Happy that is. Good luck. 73

Reactions: Dart
No, they are sure not using Toshiba's. Cost too much for them, and supply is limited.
They were blacked out, but Ranger support confirmed to me that they are definitely DEI's....

I do recall seeing R&R DE selling a custom version of the N4 radios a while back. like 5 years ago using real Toshibas in the amp board. I doubt they used a custom board so maybe there was a time long ago when the factory "C4" radios had real Toshibas in them.

I know the DEI's are crap no doubt, I would much rather have toshibas, but the DEI's are not so bad if you do not volt them, they will operate just fine if you do not punish them, just sayin... But I will not buy a amp if it has DEI's in them... :whistle::D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.