• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this what receive alignment means ?

NOOOOOOOOO

That is literally the most stupid idea ever as I've stated. Here's why.

Bob's radio is slightly out so on Ch1 whilst it listens on 26.695, instead of transmitting on 26.965 with the clarifier in the 0 position he's transmitting on 26.966. Bill comes along. He hears Bob is slightly out so shifts his unlocked clarifier 1kHz. Bill actually sounded OK to Bob at first but now sounds funny so shifts his clarifier 1kHz. Only problem is that Bob's clarifier is unlocked too so it also ups his TX frequency 1kHz. Bob now sounds out to Bill, Bill moves his clarifier and his TX frequency goes up 1kHz, Bill now sounds out to Bob, Bob moves his clarifier so his TX frequency goes up again so he now sounds off frequency to Bill.

Rinse and repeat until both of their clarifier knobs hits the end stop.

WHEN YOU DON'T DO THIS STUPID instead leaving it as stock so that the clarifier only adjusts the RX....

Bob's radio is slightly out so on Ch1 instead of transmitting on 26.965 he's transmitting on 26.966. Bill comes along with his unmodified radio, hears Bob a bit off frequency and moves his clarifier so its receiving on Ch1 on 26.966 but continues to TX on 26.695 where Bob can hear him just fine. They continue their conversation without chasing each other up and down.

And then someone joins in the QSO and is 1 KHz off freq in the other direction and you still need to rock the knob back and forth with each exchange. Unlocked and properly set up this issue is nonexistant.

The whole locked or unlocked clarifier debate is kinda up to each person to decide what they prefer. Most of the time an unlocked clarifier is necessary, specially if you have a radio that can drift like a Galaxy. For a stable radio like an RCI 2950/70 I never had them unlocked. Reason being is first I had the radio properly aligned and set on frequency. Second the RCI radio are easy to make slide by moving the dot to the last number in the frequency and hit the up/down button. I also have a Uniden Madison that is locked and is dead nuts on frequency so I have never had a problem on SSB.

Limeybastard, to answer your question in this thread,"Is this what receive alignment means ?". The answer is no, not actually. When your on SSB and people sound funny or they say you are too hi or low this means you might be OFF FREQUENCY. First step is put your clarifier at 12:00. If that does not help hit the step button and move the dot over to the last number in the frequency. After this you can change your transmit frequency by hitting the up down button, meaning you can go to say 27.384 or 27.386.

A good tech with do a complete tune and alignment on your radio when you buy it new. It involves putting the radio on frequency, doing a receive alignment, make sure your transmit and receive are balanced, and then setting the transmitter section of the radio as well as some bias settings. The whole process is here in this link and should only be attempted by someone who knows what the heck they are doing and has the proper equipment. http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/rci/rci_2950dx/graphics/rci_2950dx_70dx_sm.pdf
Go to page 18 and check it out. And yes it's for a 2970DX but the concept is the same you just have a newer version of that radio.

Most AM guys that have SSB radios seem not to care about being on freq. Maybe it is because they use them for AM anyway. Can't say. But any SSB/CB enthusiasts - like myself - want a radio that is as spot-on as one can muster. If AM is off frequency they don't really notice it seems, you can be off as much as 200hz before one can really notice. Not so for SSB.

I've worked on more than a few locals AM only radios and most of them ranged from being only slightly off freq to wildly off freq. Thing is, they didn't bring me their radios for freq alignment. Mostly for blown finals or fixing their swing mods. I had to point out just how much their radios were off freq and demonstrate how significant it was.

Reactions: walterjn
And then someone joins in the QSO and is 1 KHz off freq in the other direction and you still need to rock the knob back and forth with each exchange. Unlocked and properly set up this issue is nonexistant.
Tell them to go away until they get their radio aligned and the problem is non existent.

That'll be one way to start cleaning up channel 38LSB

Tell them to go away until they get their radio aligned and the problem is non existent.

That'll be one way to start cleaning up channel 38LSB

With a properly aligned radio unlocked clarifiers are a non-issue and therefore equally non-existant therefore the REAL issue at hand is NOT unlocked or locked clarifiers but rather a properly aligned radio to begin with.

Err,............. ya might wanna read that again,...... Jus Sayin
Nope. I'm cool with what I said. Duplex function allows us to transmit on one frequency and receive on another. Which does not require the clarifier to be screwed up. Pretty normal process for the two meter groups. Also access codes are transmitted to allow the repeaters to do their function.

With a properly aligned radio unlocked clarifiers are a non-issue and therefore equally non-existant therefore the REAL issue at hand is NOT unlocked or locked clarifiers but rather a properly aligned radio to begin with.
True, and that's what I've been saying all along.

If everyone cared to be sure their radio was on or very close. Their would be no need to hack the TX circuit.

Reactions: Tallman
Nope. I'm cool with what I said. Duplex function allows us to transmit on one frequency and receive on another. Which does not require the clarifier to be screwed up. Pretty normal process for the two meter groups. Also access codes are transmitted to allow the repeaters to do their function.

Psssssst.........that is actually called split-frequency operation. Full duplex means you can TX and RX at the same time ( like a telephone) while half duplex means you must TX and when finished you can listen. Most two-way radios are half-duplex. In a repeater situation the only radio that is full-duplex is the actual repeater itself. Sometimes it is we hams that mess up on the proper terminology.

True, and that's what I've been saying all along.

If everyone cared to be sure their radio was on or very close. Their would be no need to hack the TX circuit.

On the free-band it is a free for all anyway and if someone wants to operate on 27.567 MHz then HE is on frequency......his frequency. Anyone calling him should also be tuned to 27.567 or it is THEM that is off-frequency. Same as on the ham bands. I still keep hearing guys on the ham bands sticking to even kilohertz when calling someone that is 500 Hz high or low and then telling them they are off freq. If I call CQ 20m on 14.167.500 anyone returning a call should be on the same freq. or it is them that is off. Now I realize that free-band is not CB but probably the great majority of CBers are on freeband. You keep referring to hacking the TX circuit but originally ALL CB's had unlocked clarifiers from the factory and were 100% legal. There was never an issue. The only problem came AFTER the new regulations came into effect requiring clarifiers to be locked. Maybe I just see things differently because of the time I have been into SSB radio, since the mid-70's, and the fact I am a tech myself with a high regard for the quality of operation of my gear.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.