• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ISO: Display for a Uniden Pro 640e

ExitThirteen

Grumpy and Cranky
Apr 18, 2008
Cornpatch of Iowa
Hi again folks,

I got a Uniden Pro 640e AM/SSB CB radio recently, works great. The problem I have is that about half the segments on the channel display are burned out (a known problem with these units), and the channel display/meter is all one piece. Uniden no longer manufactures this part, so I am looking for a display piece to go in my Uniden. If anyone has a junk Uniden Pro 640e they'd let go, or a working display for this radio, PLEASE let me know, would like to get this radio on the road. Thanks in advance for any info or bumps!

-Exit

Picture057.jpg

Last edited:

just to say good luck on that 13 , they don't sell them anymore and to find one new would be lucky. The 640 AM/SSB and the 540 AM both used that modual and it was a major problem with those radios from the get go. I'd say look on Ebay for one of those radios , the 540 will be much cheaper but the module out of that radio will work.

Here's the thing , make sure you ask seller if he knows there are no defects in the module before you buy it. Even if it's a good one ? There's a good chance it will evenchilly go bad. They were just faulty. I sold one for 20.00 bucks to a guy in Poland about 2 months ago that came out of a 540. Good luck to you

Yeah, I know these aren't real common, I already modified the radio to reduce the input voltage to the display so if I get a different one, it won't be as bright, but it'll reduce the chance of it burning out. Thanks for the heads uip about the Pro 540e having the same display though!

-Exit

OK, so, what's the big deal about the channel digit display?

I've replaced these things a thousand times, and a few units specific to this post, so...

Do you want RED, BLUE, or GREEN?

I got'em in all colors! I have to keep them in the parts drawer by the dozen, since everybody likes the color other than what they have now LOL

Email me: Dodgem250@somd.net

BUMP-BUMP!
DoDgEm 250

Unfortunately, you can't replace just the channel readouts on a Uniden Pro 640e, as the channel readout and the meter readout are all in one sealed unit (see my picture in my first post). If I could have replaced just the channel readout only, I would have fixed it a long time ago.

Thanks for the post and your willingness to help though, Dodgem! :)

Unfortunately, you can't replace just the channel readouts on a Uniden Pro 640e, as the channel readout and the meter readout are all in one sealed unit (see my picture in my first post). If I could have replaced just the channel readout only, I would have fixed it a long time ago.

I've changed a few and that was enough ! on these radios anyway. Buyers beware.

I have already modified the radio so the input voltage to the display is lower, so it won't be as suspect to getting burned out. I have a channel display that's the exact same size as the channel part of the display on this sealed unit, and I thought of cutting off the channel display part and putting in a separate display for the channels.

However, that would require me to do a pin-out diagram of not only the new channel readout, but also of the PCB itself that the display would solder to, as I'd have to "match" the channel readout to the PCB. That would be fun. Been there, done that before. Yeeha. :thumbdown:

Anyhow, I'll keep my chin up, perhaps someone might have something of this nature laying around that might still be functional. I have been looking on Ebay with little success so far.

-Exit

I am perfectly aware of that.
I have 5-6 of the display modules, 3 from parted wrecks and 2 brand new.
I have replaced the OEM digit display with colored displays in those units.
No, you can not use a standard digit display to change the color.

I know all too well what's in these radios, they are like the Cobra NW junk, they prone to die in no time at all and to have the unit repaired... well, just go buy a radio with some age on it. In all honesty, it's pain and not worth the effort, the pre-line parts are the fault, not the display module. Go back and trace for a Cap. before the lead to the display module.

Thanks Again,
Dodgem

I know I'm late on this but it might be of some help to all those who have bad displays on these rigs.....

I've done this twice with no problems, first you must remove the display, the whole thing, sig meter and all.....

Next saw, yes use a hack saw, the double seven segment part of the display free of the signal meter.... :eek:

Even though the meter and the channel display is made in one casting they really are separate! :blink:

Now that the signal meter is all alone, :sad: You can solder it back to the face PC board....

Obtain a replacement channel display and I believe it to be a common cathode. Now here is the fun part! :w00t:

I used salvaged displays from UPS boards. You can buy new ones but the original display is larger than the normal displays on most CBs.....

You will need to figure out the connections from the main board to the display that will light up the segments, draw this out on a plan sheet. This can be done before you remove the faulty display.....

Hard wire the new display to the main board connections and the wires must be long enough to go over the front board and allow the new display to function properly.... :sneaky2:

This is the basics for this mod but it works! As far as a service charge? Well you can do this in about two or three hours but it is more of a love for the radio and to keep it running.....

The S / RF meter will still work fine and behind the smoke plastic, the mod looks factory! (y)

Good luck on this and take your time, it works!

mechanic

how about that ! if there's a will , there's a way . Don't think I would go through all that , but it's like you said , if you have that much love and care for a perticular radio ? Why not. Could make a tech a nice chunk of change if given radio meant that much to the customer.

UNIDEN PRO 640E DISPLAY

I have attempted the disassembly procedure and repair mentioned by the gentleman in Poland. Unfortunately, Uniden in its wisdom apparently decided to encapsulate the front of the board in potting compound [later or older model than discussed in his response?]. I guess I'm stuck with trying to place an led display outboard on the surface of the old display. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or know which of the pins is common for the channel display? Also need to know what voltage is expected to the leds. I can't seem to figure out which is which. Thanks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.