• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

January Contest Contacts - Results

Have to overlook Ratso, sometimes even he does not understand what he posts(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n):whistle::whistle::whistle:

Just a comment on how awesome propagation must have been to do that with 12 watts pep. Nothing more.

Ratso, something even more amazing is sometimes during a contact I turned my watts down to about 5 watts, as low as I can go without actually turning my radio off it seems...and the other end never knew it...and I don't think I lost a contact because of it.

It is hard to break a pile up with watts that low, but if DX conditions are right...sometimes you just don't need much. That is why persistence in low power contesting pays off. The other day when I talked to 208 Firerunner his audio and signal was down and lower that some other signals...but he was squeaking through and I heard him and we made a contact. Sometimes paying attention to the weaker signals you can sometimes copy at some point can allow you to work a pileup.

If you are able to turn you power down on your radio...you should try low watts sometimes with somebody you know and trust locally even.

I always figure if a station sounds like they are responding to you...go ahead and work em'.

I have a buddy locally that is 70 miles south of me near of Freeport, Texas and he has a L8 quad and we can talk just about anytime with 5 watts when DX conditions do not dominate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 357magnum
low wattage contacts can be made.

Look at the QRP guys on 40 meters.

Friend of mine has one of those monoband 80 meter mfj little radios. 5 watts I think is the output. we QSO'd with 5 watts on 75 meter phone.

Reactions: binrat and Marconi
Conditions were actually poor.Signals only S1- S3 If conditions were good those same contacts would have been S9+
The difference is getting heard over the noise .Your not going to be able to compete with the big guns on the call chs (really is counterproductive to all pile on one ch and use more and more power to get heard)Find a quiet ch and call repeatedly, persistence is required with low power.
We had to try several times to get the details through to log the calls.
Congratulation to all concerned.
We have a bit of a DX pipeline between Brisbane and San Francisco S9 signals heard daily around 00:00 z. If you have a location overlooking the ocean you will have a big signal on the east coast of Australia.
Heard marconi several times but could not get back. Band was open to most of Australia as well but no WDX numbers heard so I really had no choice but to point the beam towards the States.

Ray thanks for the call today on 385.

If the picture above was on contest day...I figure you were pointing east, right?

Are you working an A99/Imax?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated