• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Jo Gunn Hillbilly Antenna

Rowdy531

Mar 4, 2008
Maryland
Can anyone give me any advice on this Antenna. Recently purchased one, seems to be a good transmitting antenna. Recieving another matter. From
Antenna connection to switch box 72' Swr's 1.5 to 2. Gounded properly
It seems to carry a certain noise level on all channels. I used 3 different radios to make sure that radio was not the problem I am wondering if
anyone has any little tips or suggestions:confused:

Thanks

signal strength right a 3 , and when you flip the NB switch it makes a difference as far being louder or lower, but the signal strength does't change

I have the advise you seek, but you will not like it.

Find someone to buy the Hillbilly and get yourself an I-10K. A properly DC grounded antenna should help with your noise level. The gain of a 1/2 wave or better will also improve your signal strength.

A Maco V58 is also DC grounded and has more gain than the Hillbilly. If you want a horizontal antenna, buy a simple beam or make a Moxon. You will be much happier!

Reactions: Marconi
it would seem that the noise source favors no particular polarization and it's present 24/7. check to see that when the feedline is disconnected from the transceiver that the noise disappears. if so then the noise is not arriving directly via the ac mains. what exactly is the height of the antenna feedpoint above ground and what is the approximate distance from the antenna to any external source of commercial ac power? (power lines, poles, transformers, etc.)

Thanks for all of your help, You are right I do not like it, Do you have a web site to look at the antenna you speak of. Is iit horizontal and vertical ?

From where the feed lines attach to the antenna mast (not the pipe)to the ground is 31.6' my roof line is approximately 21' from ground so there is about 10' between roof and radial of antenna. All power lines, telephone, etc is under ground. However
there is a transformer in my front yard It may be 80' from antenna

when I do disconnect from transciever it disappears

just so you know, if there is an external noise source in the proximity of the antenna location radiating broadband rf simply replacing the antenna with another one will not solve your problem.

your best bet would be to grab an am transistor portable, a cb ht, walk the property, locate the offending noise source/s and fix them. you'd feel pretty stupid if you went out and spent hundreds of dollars for another antenna only to finally figure out that a loose power distribution insulator or some other electrical appliance was the source of the noise.

I just alerted the Utility company about the transformer, so I guess that would be the most practical step to take now. I will keep you posted

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated