• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Johnson messenger 250 mic problems

Blazer191

Jan 28, 2016
Hello.. I got an early (ssb+2 shape) factory desk mic for my 250 Johnson and I'm having trouble getting it wired correctly. The mic wiring ive found online isnt working at all. The hand mic has 6 conductors and the desk mic has 4... Help???

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1454929930961.jpg
    FB_IMG_1454929930961.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

im not 100% sure, but i don't think you can wire that mic to that radio.

some johnsons, and i believe the 250 is one of them, have a special way of switching from receive to transmit in which they actually switch a voltage from one circuit to another.

this requires more wires than you have in that mic.

some mics that are compatible with this radio are the CS-1, CS-3, +3B, and the expander 500.

if i remember correctly, you need to have a six wire mic to use with a johnson such as yours.

LC

Yeah, with some help i figured out the cord is wrong and one leaf switch has been removed... It's gonna require some rebuilding, but this style matching 250 mic is hard to find so it'll be easier to repair than find another. Most are a +3 style body, but to me the early style like this look much better.

Thanks. This mic was specifically made for this radio, and I had one identical to it about 10 years ago... So the mic is right, it's just been modified to work with something else. It even has "250" stamped on the bottom of it. You can see where the switch is missing in a photo i uploaded.IMG_20160205_112708.jpg 1454979000686.jpg

im not 100% sure, but i don't think you can wire that mic to that radio.

some johnsons, and i believe the 250 is one of them, have a special way of switching from receive to transmit in which they actually switch a voltage from one circuit to another.

this requires more wires than you have in that mic.

some mics that are compatible with this radio are the CS-1, CS-3, +3B, and the expander 500.

if i remember correctly, you need to have a six wire mic to use with a johnson such as yours.

LC
The 150 needs 6 wires..
For turner
1 wh
2 rd
3 bk
4 yl
5 bl
Shield to case ground /mic plug ground

For D104
1 wh
2 Bl
3 Bk
4 Yl
5 Rd
Shield case ground /mic plug ground
Hello.. I got an early (ssb+2 shape) factory desk mic for my 250 Johnson and I'm having trouble getting it wired correctly. The mic wiring ive found online isnt working at all. The hand mic has 6 conductors and the desk mic has 4... Help???

Hmm. Blazer191 was last seen August 2016. Doesn't look like he'll be likely to see your answer.

Pretty good explanation, though. The 5-pin plug uses the metal body of the plug and the lock ring to complete the sixth wire's circuit.

Back in the day, it would puzzle folks how a 6-wire cord connects to a 5-pin DIN plug. The metal body of the plug is the sixth "pin".

Hmm. Blazer191 was last seen August 2016. Doesn't look like he'll be likely to see your answer.

Pretty good explanation, though. The 5-pin plug uses the metal body of the plug and the lock ring to complete the sixth wire's circuit.

Back in the day, it would puzzle folks how a 6-wire cord connects to a 5-pin DIN plug. The metal body of the plug is the sixth "pin".

I try to explain things clearly ..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.