• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just missed it!

RatsoW8

Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T
Nov 3, 2009
West Central Michigan
I've had my classic (old) Icom 271A 2 meter base set up for a while and can never catch a band opening to do a little 2m ssb. So I get home today at the usual time a little after 1730L, feed the walk the dogs, grill the chicken for dinner which I eat sitting at the table on the patio outside. The weather here is absolutly perfect right now.

The XYL has been home from work since about 1400 and had the TV on watching Mr Ed on what I think is the local over the air dtv station. About 30 minutes ago I hear the TV station she's watching ID as WBAY in Green Bay WI. I grabbed the remote like a crazy person and start running through the channels and see my tv is dominated by WI tv stations!!! Ahhhhh 2 meter band opening! She said those wierd stations have been on our tv since she got home!

Of course I run downstairs and fire up 144.200 ssb just as a station(call sign unknown) fades away while calling CQ. The band went dead, right there..just my luck. Run back upstairs and all gone, no more Green Bay tv. I had a talk with the complicated one about issuing band opening alerts to the ham in the house. LOL

Been there done that far too many times. Most times I was heading home from work listening to far off FM broadcast stations and arrive home to my 6m station just in time to hear he band drop out.

Reactions: RatsoW8
And then..at about 1030pm I'm beat so I shut off the radios and computer and decide to hit the rack. The TV is on in the bedroom and WBAY is back on and crystal clear. Of course.

Reactions: gamegetter

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.