• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just starting

http://odxa.on.ca/Articles/Easy Antennas for the SWL.pdf

http://kv5r.com/ham-radio/shortwave-antennas/

Don't get overwhelmed by all this info...However this will give you a start as to what you can try for home use to maximize your listening. When I was playing with SWLing years ago I did pretty well with just wire thumb tacked to the drywall all around the inside of my bedroom.
https://www.gigaparts.com/MFJ-1020C.html?gclid=CIfNw7rbh9ECFY9hfgodPgsEmg

For portable and just to get going one of these "Active antennas" can make a big plus over the standard antennas that come with the units. You need to make sure that what ever receiver you purchase has an antenna jack for using an extra external antenna.
All the Best
Gary

If, down the road you go with an SDR, and by chance grab an RTL-SDR cheaply from Amazon, grab a low noise amplifier, for anything under 30 MHz I recommend something like the LNA4HF, it contains a filter that will block the commercial broadcast stations from interfering and overloading the SDR while SWL.

A random long wire can be used for SWL.

You mention a "long wire antenna" for SWl. Will that cover SSB?
Oh yes, and with a unun/balun you could even transmit on it using a tuner with a transceiver.
Here is a good link that may be worth a read:
Antenna Ideas for SWL.
Look for the paragraph that starts with
"THE LONG WIRE SHORTWAVE ANTENNA"

Disclaimer: I'm "just a blogger" (enthusiast) and other than sticking a coat hanger in my first C.B. radio to hear the locals, I have no personal experience with using a random wire antenna, I'm in the beginning of my SWL journey and still use a tiny whip, I don't here much with the whip!

Best Regards

Last edited:
In 1956 I bought a Hallicrafters SX-99 receiver that three other people had previously owned. My receiving antenna consisted of a piece of bell wire (22 ga.) running diagonally across my bedroom ceiling and then down to the antenna terminal strip on the rear of the radio. And with that, I could hear it ALL! Radio Moscow, HCJB (Quito, Ecuador), Voice of America, Radio Moscow, Radio Australia, Deutsche Welle, Radio Amsterdam, and did I mention Radio Moscow? (Moscow had a BUNCH of SW stations with BIG antennas aimed at North America!)

The key to having been able to do that is the "1956" part; the middle of the best radio propagation conditions ever seen before - or since. And sadly for SWLs, most of those stations are permanently off the air, using the Internet for their broadcasting/webcasting.

Still, there are stations to be heard.

Waiting for Kaito to get back on my offer ($149.99 Tecsun PL880) on Ebay. Sound like all I need is a roll of wire to hook up for great reception.

I have dealt with short wave since I was a kid, my dad's Hallicrafters back in the 1960s, the radio from the 1950s was my first listening post. It had SSB as a BFO.
Since you are starting from base, I'll run over some items for you. The above BFO or Beat Frequency Oscillator is what many receivers use to clarify SSB and CW signals. Other receivers use a digital VFO and directly tune SSB and CW as you tune the radio. Receivers like the SONY ICF-7600GR use a BFO even though it is a digital radio (rig).
The Tecsun PL-880 is a true digital receiver that tunes with a VFO. It is a nice radio and very adept to use, I have both but the older SONY ICF-7600 ( no SYNC).
Although pricey, the Sangean ATS-909X is a pretty good rig, I have used one but do not own it. Tecsun also offers the PL-660 and PL-680, simpler than the 880 but les expensive.
Here is a link that covers all these plus many more....

http://swling.com/blog/tag/sony-icf-sw7600gr-review/

Presently I repair many of these fine receivers, mainly the SONYs and the older ICF-2010 in particular. This would be a fine receiver if you can buy a decent one. Average price is around 200 to 250 dollars but they can be found for far less. Easy to repair at least for me!
Most important part of any receiver is the antenna or antenna system. Most time a simple long wire of 35 to 60 feet is all you need. Always insulate the antenna from touching any object like trees or metal fences. You can run the wire through a window that closes gently on the wire or you can use a feed through pipe or a hole driled in the side of your home. Outside antennas work best or you can make one that works well inside your home.
Your listening post should always have proper grounds for both you and the radio as static can build up and cause problems.
Think of the antenna as a fish net, the bigger the net, the more the fish and a bigger antenna can 'catch' more signals!
SDR is the going thing for both receivers and now into transceivers, I own the new Icom IC-7300 and it is a dandy! But not cheap, about 1450 dollars.
As you learn moe you will have a direction for your interests of Short Wave listening and you may find yourself interested in HAM radio.... a whole other topic!
Asking questions is a great start!

Best DX es 73 mechanic aka KB8DNS

OK, did my research, changed my mind several times, and have decided to go with the Tecsun PL-880. Anon-co out of Hong Kong (Ebay) was recommended on this post. I can get the PL-880 for $153.99 w/ extra battery and accessories. Next is the antenna.

Since my interest in SWL emerged I remembered that I had bought a radio at the dump auction years ago. No interest in SW at the timeL. i just like stuff! Just pulled it out of the barn to check it out. It is a Phillips Capella 604 Stereo. Looks good, needs some TLC on the outside.

Antenna for a Tecsun PL-880
can the antenna be 100' to roof peak then drop 15' to a window, then 20' to the radio, at that point it would need to terminate into a 1/8" plug in.

For just a receiving antenna that should work pretty well. Don't let it just sit on the roof or touch anything conductive. Experimenting to see just what works and what doesn't costs very little and can be educational and fun.

Before you get too far along, though, you might want to cut just maybe ten feet of wire and connect it to the radio. Turn it on and see if you pick up a lot of electrical noise. With any luck you won't, and the listening will be good. Man-made noise is a big issue in radio, unfortunately.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Thanx. Rather than start at the end I will start at the radio. I got caught up in the idea that a longer wire would be better. However I really do not know what better is. Can I splice the antenna to add length to it? And I have read that the antenna connection at the radio should be coaxial to provide a ground. I really appreciate this Forum.

Thanx. Rather than start at the end I will start at the radio. I got caught up in the idea that a longer wire would be better. However I really do not know what better is. Can I splice the antenna to add length to it? And I have read that the antenna connection at the radio should be coaxial to provide a ground. I really appreciate this Forum.
A "ground" is not at all necessary for a simple wire RECEIVING antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated