• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TH-D72 2m/440 APRS HT Review

Thank you for your report.

As I was reading about VX-8GR, it seems that a led would flash (optional) when getting APRS msg.

Does the TH-D72 have any similar option (for visual notification upon receiving msgs) ?

Thx

There's no flash, but the bell ringer does sound and the message pops up on the screen.

Actually there is an option for setting the white LED to flash every few seconds (adjustable) when an APRS (text message) message comes in. The GR also has a vibrator like a cell phone and you can set it to go off when you receive a message.

I think the GR has really steps up text messaging functionality. I will go weeks before realizing I have a message on my D700.

There's no flash, but the bell ringer does sound and the message pops up on the screen.

Actually there is an option for setting the white LED to flash every few seconds (adjustable) when an APRS (text message) message comes in. The GR also has a vibrator like a cell phone and you can set it to go off when you receive a message.

I think the GR has really steps up text messaging functionality. I will go weeks before realizing I have a message on my D700.

Right, the white LED is on the Yaesu VX-8 series radios. There's nothing like that on the Kenwood TH-D72

OK, I am new at this. How do you setup you VFO's to avoid the hassle of switching back and for and still remain in duplex mode?

Thanks for the assistance, John N6TRC

I don't think there is a way to get around that issue for now. I have been playing around with the smc-33 speaker/mic and have the 3 buttons programmed as 1- A/B, 2- up and 3- down. I plan on using mine on the sats when it warms up, so it would be nice if I could program cross band odd splits into memory and use full duplex

It sounds like feature wise this HT is a pretty good match vs the VX-8GR. But what about the 8-DR (which is what I have and why I ask). I'm thinking about getting this simply for packet use - being able to do packet on the go without needing a separate TNC would be nice. But it sounds like it's not nearly as tough and rugged as my 8DR.

It sounds like feature wise this HT is a pretty good match vs the VX-8GR. But what about the 8-DR (which is what I have and why I ask). I'm thinking about getting this simply for packet use - being able to do packet on the go without needing a separate TNC would be nice. But it sounds like it's not nearly as tough and rugged as my 8DR.

My assessment of the radio a few posts back is basically a comparison to the VX-8Dr. The TH-D72's built in GPS is nice and makes you realize how annoying the external GPS of the VX-8D is. However, if you want all of those other features included in the VX-8D, then the Kenwood isn't for you. If you primary goal is to have a full featured TNC and APRS device and don't need all of the other features, then the Kenwood is the one you need. If you have the budget, it would be nice to have them both :)

Molecule: Absolutely excellent review of the th-d72a. Mine arrived yesterday and your article got me up and running.

I am running Vista with Tera Term with the supplied Kenwood cable and was able to check into our local BBS, to bad I can't copy the BBS on the tiny screen!

Thanks

TH-D72 Summary
I have had one problem, which is I've never been able to get the Silicon Labs USB driver to install on my Vista machine. This isn't a Kenwood issue, but a Silicon Labs problem.
I ran into the same problem, and this is what did the trick for me:

Install the driver and plug in the USB cable.
In the Windows Device Mager, right-click "Silicon Labs CP210x ..." and select "Properties".
Select "Port Settings" -> "Advanced".
Change the COM Port Number to something else (unused), then change it back again.
Pull the USB cable from the computer and then put it back again.

Maybe this works for someone else too.

Jonas/SM5PHU

DC cable

Hi! I have just placed an order for the TH-D72 after having read this review. Very cool.

I was wondering; do you think the "cigarette adapter cable" PG-3J is necessary? With the TH-D7 I have owned since 1998 I just built an adapter with the proper jack and a "cigarette" connector. This radio has a lithium battery and maybe it's more sensitive? I was planning to use this radio also in my car with an external antenna.

If a self-built cable is OK, what is the connector size? I want to find a 90 degrees connector because I think it's more robust that the straight one.

Also, I am planning to go on a 2-day mountain hike and test the radio, do you think a single charge of the battery may last both days for moderate APRS usage when we hike, let's say 12-15 hours total?

What formats are available for position data, i.e. which format of LAT/LON, is UTM available, What Datum are available i.e. NAD27, WGS84 etc.

The position data is in Degrees, Minutes, Seconds. No UTM, but it does display your current Maidenhead Grid Locator. The DATAM available are WGS84 and Tokyo.

Hi! I have just placed an order for the TH-D72 after having read this review. Very cool.

I was wondering; do you think the "cigarette adapter cable" PG-3J is necessary? With the TH-D7 I have owned since 1998 I just built an adapter with the proper jack and a "cigarette" connector. This radio has a lithium battery and maybe it's more sensitive? I was planning to use this radio also in my car with an external antenna.

If a self-built cable is OK, what is the connector size? I want to find a 90 degrees connector because I think it's more robust that the straight one.

Also, I am planning to go on a 2-day mountain hike and test the radio, do you think a single charge of the battery may last both days for moderate APRS usage when we hike, let's say 12-15 hours total?

The DC in on this radio is 13.8v, so any 12v cigarette lighter that you make should handle it. I'm sure the factory cigarette lighter charger adds filtering and voltage regulation.

A single battery charge for 2 days? No way. The battery life on this radio isn't very good...you might get 8 hours with the GPS on and moderate APRS usage.

The DC in on this radio is 13.8v, so any 12v cigarette lighter that you make should handle it. I'm sure the factory cigarette lighter charger adds filtering and voltage regulation.

Well what kind of voltage regulation? Unless it's a fancy buck-boost converter, keeping the output at 13.8V could be quite hard...

A single battery charge for 2 days? No way. The battery life on this radio isn't very good...you might get 8 hours with the GPS on and moderate APRS usage.

OK thanks. What do you suggest then? Maybe bringing an external SLA battery to charge it - or maybe the AAA battery case?

Alternatively, if I simply turn on the radio when I want to send out a beacon and then turn it off shortly after, I may be able to get two days, I hope.

Well what kind of voltage regulation? Unless it's a fancy buck-boost converter, keeping the output at 13.8V could be quite hard...

The manual indicates that it can handle up to 17.5 input voltage, after which it will shut off. It also states that it won't charge if the input is below 12 volts. That's a pretty broad range, so I don't think I would be too concerned about it.

OK thanks. What do you suggest then? Maybe bringing an external SLA battery to charge it - or maybe the AAA battery case?

Alternatively, if I simply turn on the radio when I want to send out a beacon and then turn it off shortly after, I may be able to get two days, I hope.

I would either purchase an extra battery or be frugal with the usage. Keep the power output set at low and only use the GPS when you need it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated