1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

Kenwood TM-742a problem

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by nick1169, Sep 29, 2011.

1. nick1169

nick1169 Member

I recently recived this kenwood unit and the problem that I am having is there is no voice in the TX. SWR and power output is good just nothing to be heard on the other end but a dead key. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Nick

2. nick1169

nick1169 Member

I have also found that the keypad on the mic is not lighting up. And to clarify what i have above, the radio will tx but there is not modulation. Thanks again in advance for any help.
  3. remote1

remote1 Member

My first thought was that you burned something up from someone transmitting without an antenna connected, but now you say it will transmit -it may be your mic that is bad. The 642/742/942 Kenwoods were known to have the mic buttons go out. You can open it up and re-solder a new push to talk button or just replace the mic.
    I have replaced several push to talk buttons in the last few years, it is simple if you have basic soldering skills.
    You may want to borrow a friends mic first and try it and see if that is you problem.
    Good luck, it a great radio don't just shelf it.
  4. scruffypatch

scruffypatch Member

FT-742A Audio Problem

Just bought a FT-742A with the same problem. Found that the 8 V DC (actually around 6 V on another 742 I have) that feeds the mic was missing. Opened the mic and found there was around 4 V for the key pad and the other mic functions on one of the other pins so I jumped that voltage over to the 8 V line. The lower voltage seems to work ok. You have to follow the color of the mic cord wires to find where they go. The 8 V line is suspose to be on pin 2 looking at the front of the plug in the 742.
    Hope this helps.