• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TM-D710A Video Review

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
here is two video reviews i did on the radio i didn't cover APRS because i haven't gotten the cable yet to plug in my nuvi 1450LTM.

review 1:

review 2:

FYI

You don't need the GPS connected and running, you only need a valid location so the incoming packets will show a meaningful bearing and distance. Load MY POSITION and then you can proceed with the next youtube.

Copy and paste from the PDF manual.
When the GPS receiver is not connected to the TM-D710(fixed station), set the GPS receiver Menu No.602(GPSPORT–INPUT) to [OFF] (default value). If you do not connect the GPS receiver when you set up [GPS], your station position location will not be correct, and the distance and direction of other stations will not be displayed. Therefore, you should set your position data using Menu No. 605 (MY POSITION).

FYI

You don't need the GPS connected and running, you only need a valid location so the incoming packets will show a meaningful bearing and distance. Load MY POSITION and then you can proceed with the next youtube.

Copy and paste from the PDF manual.
When the GPS receiver is not connected to the TM-D710(fixed station), set the GPS receiver Menu No.602(GPSPORT–INPUT) to [OFF] (default value). If you do not connect the GPS receiver when you set up [GPS], your station position location will not be correct, and the distance and direction of other stations will not be displayed. Therefore, you should set your position data using Menu No. 605 (MY POSITION).

That sorta makes sense...... I did what u posted what's supposed to happen ?

Sent from Outerspace, on the DarkSide of X.

Sheepish grin!:eek:

Not sure. Always relied on GPS input. I know that beacon does not work until the gps symbol on the display started blinking. During that time of non-blinking time I think the heard packets will not be displayed.

If aprs packets are heard and displayed do they have realistic distance displayed? Usually you don't see anything beyond about 40 miles unless someone has setup their radio for more than 2 hops. WIDE1-1 and WIDE2-1 is the typical recommended setup.

You could try changing the LAT/LONG and see if you get different results from stations you have already heard and see if you move you location around on "http://aprs.fi/info/a/KE5MC-9". Change my callsign for yours.

Mike

PS Don't expect aprs.fi to quickly show your position. It goes into the internet and floats around for awhile until processed and displayed. I can't say how long the updates take to be displayed.

Last edited:
If you enter your position (fixed), set the frequency to 144.390, and turn on the TNC to the first (click) position, you will see the stations sending position reports. There are more than one way to display that information, select the one you are comfortable with. After you've entered your position, the radio will then give you the direction and distance from you of the stations heard.
That can all be done from the panel buttons or by means of the free Kenwood program. Get the program (MCP-2A), it's much simpler. Either get or make a programming cable while you're at it.
- 'Doc

i was going to buy the cable needed from garmin to make my NUVI 1450LTM work with the kenwood but it seems all that aprs is sorta hard to use lol i tried doing the settings as posted first and it didn't do anything? i was NOT on 144.390 so maybe thats why it didnt do anything. i used my gps to get my long lat and input let me go try this 144.390 see what pops up? i dont plan on getting the programming cable don't seem to need it been doing okay so far getting it programmed properly with alpha tags and all.

wow cool stuff all this popped up when i turned on TNC and did APRS12

2012-02-13_19-33-37_338.jpg

2012-02-13_19-33-16_890.jpg

2012-02-13_19-33-09_254.jpg

2012-02-13_19-35-34_0.jpg

2012-02-13_19-36-07_455.jpg

My display

My display looks a little different and not sure why. I didn't see bearing and distance information under the compass rose. The last pic with MY POSITION is an indication that my beacon was heard, retransmitted and that was heard by my radio.

GPS input was off and MY POSITION #1 was selected. With that I could beacon my position and receive other beacons and display bearing and distance information. Something I had not tried before.

Hope that gives you a little more information as to what you should see.

Mike

Attachments

• MyPos.jpg
    MyPos.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 399
  • DegDis.jpg
    DegDis.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 392
  • MyBecon.jpg
    MyBecon.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 329
Ten year old thread, some vid links die after that amount of time, this one the op made them private.
It would be very time consuming to go through thousands of ten year old ( or older) threads to find outdated vid links or pictures.
A question posted might garner more information than a complaint about the subject maybe?

Jeff

The complaint wasn't about the "subject" it was about the lack of one. It also wasn't about missing pics in regular 'threads' which happens all the time.
I came here to read a review that isn't there.

Come to think of it, this is a 'Review' sub-forum, not a 'help' forum which is separate, correct??

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated