1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

Kenwood TM-D710A Video Review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Se7en, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Se7en

Se7en Well-Known Member

here is two video reviews i did on the radio i didn't cover APRS because i haven't gotten the cable yet to plug in my nuvi 1450LTM.

review 1:

review 2:

2. KE5MC

KE5MC Guest

FYI

You don't need the GPS connected and running, you only need a valid location so the incoming packets will show a meaningful bearing and distance. Load MY POSITION and then you can proceed with the next youtube.

Copy and paste from the PDF manual.
    When the GPS receiver is not connected to the TM-D710(fixed station), set the GPS receiver Menu No.602(GPSPORT–INPUT) to [OFF] (default value). If you do not connect the GPS receiver when you set up [GPS], your station position location will not be correct, and the distance and direction of other stations will not be displayed. Therefore, you should set your position data using Menu No. 605 (MY POSITION).

3. Se7en

Se7en Well-Known Member

That sorta makes sense...... I did what u posted what's supposed to happen ?

Sent from Outerspace, on the DarkSide of X.

4. KE5MC

KE5MC Guest

Sheepish grin!:eek:

Not sure. Always relied on GPS input. I know that beacon does not work until the gps symbol on the display started blinking. During that time of non-blinking time I think the heard packets will not be displayed.

If aprs packets are heard and displayed do they have realistic distance displayed? Usually you don't see anything beyond about 40 miles unless someone has setup their radio for more than 2 hops. WIDE1-1 and WIDE2-1 is the typical recommended setup.

You could try changing the LAT/LONG and see if you get different results from stations you have already heard and see if you move you location around on "http://aprs.fi/info/a/KE5MC-9". Change my callsign for yours.

Mike

PS Don't expect aprs.fi to quickly show your position. It goes into the internet and floats around for awhile until processed and displayed. I can't say how long the updates take to be displayed.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  5. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

If you enter your position (fixed), set the frequency to 144.390, and turn on the TNC to the first (click) position, you will see the stations sending position reports. There are more than one way to display that information, select the one you are comfortable with. After you've entered your position, the radio will then give you the direction and distance from you of the stations heard.
    That can all be done from the panel buttons or by means of the free Kenwood program. Get the program (MCP-2A), it's much simpler. Either get or make a programming cable while you're at it.
    - 'Doc

6. Se7en

Se7en Well-Known Member

i was going to buy the cable needed from garmin to make my NUVI 1450LTM work with the kenwood but it seems all that aprs is sorta hard to use lol i tried doing the settings as posted first and it didn't do anything? i was NOT on 144.390 so maybe thats why it didnt do anything. i used my gps to get my long lat and input let me go try this 144.390 see what pops up? i dont plan on getting the programming cable don't seem to need it been doing okay so far getting it programmed properly with alpha tags and all.

7. Se7en

Se7en Well-Known Member

wow cool stuff all this popped up when i turned on TNC and did APRS12

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Se7en

Se7en Well-Known Member

i am reading this about APRS: http://www.ei7ig.org/files/IntroToAPRS.pdf

MODS if all this replies but the review be moved to the proper forum that would be great? if my video review is not sufficient enough it too can be moved. ty

9. IMD262

IMD262 Well-Known Member

Will this radio receive AM in the UHF Mil-Air band?

10. Se7en

Se7en Well-Known Member

I just tried to switch to AM on 334mhz no it wont ?
    Okay on the right vfo no. But on the left yes :)
    Sent from Outerspace, on the DarkSide of X.

11. KE5MC

KE5MC Guest

My display

My display looks a little different and not sure why. I didn't see bearing and distance information under the compass rose. The last pic with MY POSITION is an indication that my beacon was heard, retransmitted and that was heard by my radio.

GPS input was off and MY POSITION #1 was selected. With that I could beacon my position and receive other beacons and display bearing and distance information. Something I had not tried before.

Hope that gives you a little more information as to what you should see.

Mike

Attached Files:

12. nomibucha

nomibucha New Member

Thanks for the great sharing .