• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

kenwood ts 570 s(g) or icom 746 (non pro)

Carl

Technologicaly Challenged
May 7, 2005
this seems to be what i am leaning into picking up. it is going to have to be used as i have about $850 max to spend. i have a 52 amp power supply so im good in that department, i will be using a d104 either amplified or unamped with some updating to the circuitry.

its going to be my main rig and i would like to keep it for a while. the kenwood comes with dsp and an auto tuner, built in cw keyer and they are pretty cheap. i should be able to find the s(g) for under $800 assuming they ever become avialable, under $550 for the updated d(g) (no 6m)

the kenwood in case other dont know about the radio its a 10meter-160meter +6meter radio.

sales litature in pdf

now the icom 746 generally run a little higher price. not easy to find in my budget but they cover a lot of ground. 10m-160m +6m +2m. only poplular thing it misses is the 70cm band (440). it is nice to have the extended coverage and the radio is a real looker but it does not have dsp and an auto tuner.

what are your thaughts and axperences with each?

TS-570S(KENWOOD)%5B1-3%5D.jpg

190404.jpg

Carl, Kenwoods TS-570s with A/T and DSP can be found used in your price range with money to spare. I have worked alot of stations on 6 meters using the 570s and all had excellent audio.The only down fall is no 2 meter or 70cm.....this rig gets great reviews here;eham

As far as Icoms 746 you are right in looking for a non pro as the 746 pro has had there share of problems.It also does have vhf/uhf capabilitys.It also has DSP and built in A/T. Although i would recommend installing TCXO and your good to go.You can also find the 746 in your price range. This rig gets much better reviews than icom's 746pro ,look here;eham

It would be a hard choice between the 2 as both have pro's and cons but i feel you would be happy with either one,good luck........it's a hard choice.

The standard 746 does not have DSP so you have to buy filters.

The Pro is out of your price range. I've had both rigs and currently run the Pro. Even though there are folks that have had issues with the early Pros, I have an early model and have never had any issue.

I can't speak for the 570, but the 746 is a fine rig, and you'll like it if you get one.

Just a quick question on the mic...Why a d-104?? I mean there are WAY better mics out there than that. Try a kenwood MC-60a and you wouldnt even dream of a 104

ive had a mc60 and a mc80, they were good mic's but didnt suit my voice to well. perhaps i will get a heil in the future but id rather buy the radio and use what i have now. when i had my ts 440 i used a d104 g and it sounded excelent. the sound good if you are willing to spend a little time setting the radio up. i talk very soft and i do like to bend over to reach the mic as i am so tall, thats why i like the d104

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated