• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS50 Problem

VE3UG

Jun 6, 2010
When first powered up (cold start), my TS-50 has no receive and the S-meter shows full scale!
This occurs for about 30-45 seconds and then the S-meter slowly recedes and audio is received.
Everything else seems to be OK!

Any solutions?

Thank you

Rick

Kenwood problem

Have you done the full microprocessor reset as described

in your manual ??

Let us know.....Mac

Thats odd my wifes TS-50 and matching AT-50 Tuner have been trouble free for years!!I would do as mentioned above and do a full reset.

It's been quite a while so I can't tell you exactly what the problem is, but I've seen it happen. It has to do with a voltage regulation problem, or a DC/DC regulator or whatever the @#$ thing is called. I can tell you that unless you are very very good at it, don't try correcting it your self. Send/take it to someone who can deal with it.
I've had two TS-50's, the first had that problem, the second didn't. That was the only thing that ever gave me any trouble with either of them (aside from me doing something I shouldn't have done to start with ;)).
- 'Doc

I have exactly the same TS50 problem!

I've been using the TS50S for a couple of years, and the exact problem described by VE3UG just developed a few weeks ago - at first intermittently, now every time I power it up from a cold start. The delay before normal reception varies depending on band and mode, but it takes a maximum of 30-45 seconds before settling down to otherwise normal operation. It doesn't seem to happen (or at least not for as long) if it's been powered down for less than a few minutes, so warmup is somehow involved.

If the audio volume is at or above normal level, there's also often a loud feedback-type squeal that only disappears when the volume is turned all the way down or after normal operation resumes. The squeal occurs with or without headphones. Keying the transmitter cuts off the squeal and switches the s-meter to apparently normal transmit operation in all modes. Receive still does not work until after the noted delay.

This isn't a serious problem for my normal operation, but it seems to be progressing - i.e. it's becoming more consistent and the delay time seems to be slowly increasing. I assume that whatever is causing the problem - a dc-dc converter sounds like a likely candidate - will probably fail sooner rather than later and may damage other components.

I'm hesitant to reset the processor unless it's likely to fix the problem - which it didn't do for VE3UG. I can change the battery, but I don't understand how that might help the problem.

I look forward to additions to this thread, hopefully some with specific solutions for the problem.

Aloha from Kona,

AH6KW

the ts 50 ts850 and 690 were all built in the same line from the same parts so here's a page on the 850 850 Repair Page that might give you perspective on the problems 9/10 problems on that page are related to capacitor trouble which is largely repairable except for the filtering caps for the dds chips. Those are irreplaceable and have caused problems in many of the line out there(missing band segments). In other words you should look at having the radio completely recapped or at the very least do the dc to dc converter caps and the caps for the dds chips.

S-meter problem @ startup

Dear all
I suffered also with that problem and added a resistor of 3k3 on node (1) of IC3 to GND.
This problem occurs also while I used pactor, the AGC was in the first 10 minutes way to slow to receive between the bursts.

Regards,

Henk.

I know that I am late to the party, but change out the memory battery.(2032?)

Is the '2032' battery a direct replacement for the Kenwood battery? If so I have these at work... Also the factory battery is soldered in,

I do have to replace mine it does not hold memory any more..
But NO recieve problems as of yet (knock on wood)

The 2032 a common and the most frequent used battery of its type. There used for memory in CB radios, Amateur radios of all kinds and also used for memory in bios for computers. They are also used in garage door opener remotes and other typ rs of remotes aswell as backup memory for clocks so that battery is used everywhere so I always keep a few on hand in my battery bin ;)

I should change the one in my TS-50 aswell as I never have but I imagine it has the tabs connected to it like the old RCI 2950 and 2970 radios I replaced one in an old 2970 years back and just soldered leads to the battery. You have to be quick as to not heat the battery up or should I say get the battery hot. This is where a nice soldering station or pen comes in handy I use a weller.

Ill loook at mine and give you an idea how I do mine ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated