• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood

novakor

Apr 5, 2005
Reno,Nevada
Since Kenwood dropped there TS-570 series that only leaves 2 Kenwood HF rigs to chose from ,TS-480 series and TS-2000 series. There has been alot of speculation that Kenwood may be getting out of the amateur radio industry. Lot of talk about what there plans are with there future in amateur radio,so i email Kenwood customer support and heres there answer:

Hello Stu:

Kenwood is always comes out with new and innovative amateur radio
products we came out with two new radio's in 2007 the TM-V71A and
TM-D710A. We will be coming out with new product in 2008 just do not
know what it may be.I do not see Kenwood coming out with a $10,000
transceiver, but I have a good feeling we may come out with a nice high
end HF transciever in perhaps the next year or
so......................73

It would be great too see a new High end kenwood again as i have always enjoyed some of kenwoods line of radios........ 520,530,830,850,940 and 950sdx

It seems to me that Kenwood has always been sort of a trend setter. They were if not the first, then one of the first to come along with a smaller than typical HF radio, usually the first with all kinds of 'doo-dads' and extras. So I sort of doubt if they will be getting out of this particular radio 'niche' quite yet. Since the general 'trend' has been toward higher frequencies lately, to take advantage of the greater number of 'techs', a sort of re-shuffling of the product line doesn't seem too outrageous of a direction to take. I also assume that they aren't silly enough to leave the other end of the spectrum alone (Hope not, anyway!).
- 'Doc

I think Kenwood will still hang around for a while, even if they were considering getting out of this small market. The recent acquisition of Yaesu by Motorola, would make it foolish to do so at this time. Motorola has a history of complete and total disregard for the ham market and the fact that their products work on our bands is hardly more than coincidental. Motorola wanted the Vertex/Standard market segment, not the Yaesu ham brand and the Mother Ship is making noise about spinning off their big cell-phone division because of sales not meeting expectations (and they still hold a very large share of the market).

The folks at Kenwood could also still be wiping the sweat off their brow over Sky-command being given the nod by the FCC. I'm sure there is many a strained butt-muscle over that leap of faith. Glad it paid off for them myself.

If Kenwood came out with really good modern HF only rig, I would definitely buy one.

It's already April and still no new HF kenwood line:glare: I'm kinda curious as to what they have in store for us. Gotta love that KW audio:)

Don't hold your breath...
Kenwood stepped out of the amateur radio market with the 950 DDX... only some handhelds and duoband transcievers are on the market.

Yaesu made the FT 847, it took Kenwood 3 years to produce their version, and that was goofed up, low sensetivety on 2/70 birdies in the satellite band etc.

Icom and Yaesu came out with new generation transcievers since then, Elekraft has the K3 wich is an excellent radio.

Kenwood is more interested in the consumer market with car stereo, home systems etc, in wich more can be earned.

As i said be4, i keep the FT 847, modified and the FT 100 also modified both have all minor quirks ironed out, and rather spend more in the antenna department, where your dollar/euro really counts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.